cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tethering canon 5ds to a monitor

chuckward
Apprentice

I How do I tether my camera to a computer monitor and record the images on the memory card? 

Regards,

Chuck Ward

4 REPLIES 4

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You’ll need software that supports tethering.

The Canon EOS Utility supports tethering, as does Adobe Lightroom.  I used to tether using Apple’s ‘Aperture’.  I have a dedicated tethering program called ‘Kuuvik Capture’ (which is especially nice when using a tilt-shift lens ... it has some specific niche features to help refine the tilt-adjustment by allowing you to set multiple control points that you want in focus.)

As I recall, some of my tethering apps offer the option to also save to the card in addition to sending the image to the computer (that’s an option ... the Canon EOS SDK supports it so it’s really up to the software vendor to implement it.)

Another nice-to-have is an extra long tethering cable (longer than the factory supplied USB cable).  I have several 15’ tethering cables that I use.  The “Tether Tools” brand cable is about $40 (which I think is crazy for a usb cable).  I ended up buying a few cables on Amazon (I have a long cable for each of my camera bodies) and they were less than $10.  Just check to make sure the camera-side end of the cable has the correct connector because they come in every variation of USB connection. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I may not be able to do what I want, but I just want to view the shot on a monitor without using a computer. In other words, just use the monitor as a larger live view screen. I want to record the images on a memory card and not my computer.

Regards,

Chuck Ward

@chuckward wrote:

I may not be able to do what I want, but I just want to view the shot on a monitor without using a computer. In other words, just use the monitor as a larger live view screen. I want to record the images on a memory card and not my computer.

Regards,

Chuck Ward

It sounds like all you need to do is connect a monitor to your camera, and use Live View shooting mode. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle, thats what I was hoping I could do, but I've not heard of anyone doing it.

Regards,

Chuck Ward

Announcements