cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"err 06"

djbeeze
Apprentice

I have a EOS 40D (oldie but goodie). 

Sometimes camera will not turn on (power switch from Off to On), even with a freshly charged battery.

When turning on, the camera shows ERR 06 in the sensor cleaning unit, and I cannot use the camera at all.

I was able to find "hard reset" instructions on the internet (power off, remove both batteries, turn power on for 5+ minutes, then insert batteries). This cleared the error code, but it returned a few weeks later. I've since disabled the automatic sensor cleaning in the camera menu; I don't know if this will prevent the error in the future.

This is a 9 year old camera (about 80K exposures, if I recall correctly).

Has anyone else had service to fix this? I tried to request service through Canon's web site, but it does not list any service centers for my zip code (perhaps they do not service the 40D anymore). Any cost estimates for this repair?

I'm interested in community oponions: Is it worth servicing this for a few hundred dollars, vs. about $900 for a new 70D body?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Sensors have improved so much in the past several years that if I were to put money into anything... it would be going toward a new camera body rather than the repair of the old body.

Call Canon service and ask about their loyalty program.  You may find that your old camera is worth a nice discount toward a newer cmaera.  The loyalty program cameras change all the time and it may be refurbished model rather than a new model (you can ask).  

A 70D (just as an example) offers 20 megapixels (vs. your current 10 mp) and offers ISO ranges from 100-12,800 (vs. your current cap of 1600).   Everything about it is an upgrade... the shooting speed, the focus system, the sensor performance, the touch-screen, the ability to shoot video and have continuous auto-focus during video, etc. 

I'm not suggesting you should get a 70D... I'm suggesting that you have more options to consider (the 70D being just one of them).  The 6D is also in that price range but it's a full-frame sensor (with considerably better high ISO and low noise than). 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Sensors have improved so much in the past several years that if I were to put money into anything... it would be going toward a new camera body rather than the repair of the old body.

Call Canon service and ask about their loyalty program.  You may find that your old camera is worth a nice discount toward a newer cmaera.  The loyalty program cameras change all the time and it may be refurbished model rather than a new model (you can ask).  

A 70D (just as an example) offers 20 megapixels (vs. your current 10 mp) and offers ISO ranges from 100-12,800 (vs. your current cap of 1600).   Everything about it is an upgrade... the shooting speed, the focus system, the sensor performance, the touch-screen, the ability to shoot video and have continuous auto-focus during video, etc. 

I'm not suggesting you should get a 70D... I'm suggesting that you have more options to consider (the 70D being just one of them).  The 6D is also in that price range but it's a full-frame sensor (with considerably better high ISO and low noise than). 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would also look for a newer camera.  A used 40D isn't worth very much.  In good to great working order I suspect $200 or less.  If is working you might want to still use it.  But that doesn't leave much room for repair money!

I still use my 1D Mk IIn which is only 8MP.  MP alone is not a good reason the upgrade.  But the 70D is probably the one you will want.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements