cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

prominent gray streak 70d, what is this!?

mmriva
Contributor

Hi Photog. peeps,

First off, I love this camera, but I don't understand what this streak is that pops up from time to time. Sometimes it ruins my picture entirely. I sent an email to the co. but wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue. it's pretty clear on the attached image. 

thanks!Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 12.01.02 PM.png

11 REPLIES 11

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Can't say I've seen anything quite like that before. It kind of looks like a hair or some debris on the sensor or in the lens, but then it kind of doesn't. A little more info might be helpful. Does it always appear in the same place on the image? Does it always appear with just one lens, but not others? Does it make a difference if you're shooting in Live View mode or not?

It generally comes up in the same spot, but sometimes it moves more toward the center of the image Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 12.22.20 PM.png

sometimes its shorter in length, sometimes longer (same with shades of gray)

I have cleaned the sensor multipe times with no change

it happens with every lens I've used

I havent really noticed if it still comes up in live mode

Try taking the same photo at different f stops. If it gets worse as the f stop number goes up it's in the light path & may be a scratch on the sensor or a hair in the shutter box etc. The higher the f number the more we see dirt etc on the sensor & directly in front of it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

It is hard for me to evaluate your shots.  The posted photos appear to have been cropped.  The second photo would seem to have been shot in landscape mode, and the first one in a portrait orientation.  But, the aspect ratios seem off.

Dust and dirt on the sensor tends to be small enough to stay in one place.  If you do not have a bub air blower, then I suggest that you buy one, and clean out your camera.  Search YouTube for videos on how to clean a DSLR with an air blower.

Do not try to use a solvent to clean the image sensor.  Leave that to professionals with those adjustable magnifying lights.  Do not try to use your mouth to blow on it, either, because of moisture.  Only use an air blower.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi " mmriva ",

I am guessing it is a hair on your sensor. Sensor dust, hair, etc. shows up more when shooting at small apertures like f/22. It will probably dissappear when shooting at wider apertures like f/2.8-f/5.6 

Take 3-4 photos at f/22-f/29 and then post them here un-cropped so we can better establish what we are looking at.  Don't worry about focal length or focus distance, all that matters is that it is resonably exposed so we can see it.  Shooting an empty sky is probably the best. 

Mike Sowsun

Yeah I cropped to fit the shot on the message board... maybe this will better show it..Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 1.56.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-13 at 1.56.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-13 at 1.56.06 PM.png

Thanks, for posting the clear shots.

That is dust, or hair.  You need a bulb air blower to remove it.  They cost less than a large pizza.  Post back with any questions.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

mmriva
Contributor

It goes from F-6, 9, 16, 22

I didnt have my tripod so it varies slightly

Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 3.38.07 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-13 at 3.38.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-13 at 3.38.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-13 at 3.38.32 PM.png

It's a piece of hair or a thread etc very close to the sensor OR depending on how you cleaned the sensor a scratch across the filter over the actual sensor.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements