cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

manual mode

ltouchstone
Apprentice

I own a 5D MK IV and I'm baffled at what I am seeing. In manual mode, for example, if I try to set the exposure beyond three stops either above or below "standard exposure" the camera will not make the exposure. There is simply no response when the shutter button is depressed. The camera acts normal in every other way that I have tried. Am I missing something here?

I'd appreciate any ideas to fix either my understanding or the camera itself.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ltouchstone wrote:
I was going to make a pic of the "pink moon" a couple of days ago. Since the meter would be useless I set it up in manual mode. It was a bright sunny day up there so exposure was set accordingly. The 5D however would not function to make the exposure. The exposure I set was :
ISO 100
Fstop. 16
Shutter. 1/125
Could have been a brick on my tripod just as easily for all the photos I got. The manual on pg 251 does not address this behavior. I'm at a loss.

What lens were you using, and did you set the focus manually? Sometimes a camera won't fire if there isn't enough light for the (auto-focusing) lens to achieve focus. Unless the selected focus point was right on the moon, that may have been the case here.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Can you clarify? Are you trying to dial Exposure Compensation, or just select an aperture or shutter speed that gives you an under/over exposure?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ltouchstone
Apprentice
I was going to make a pic of the "pink moon" a couple of days ago. Since the meter would be useless I set it up in manual mode. It was a bright sunny day up there so exposure was set accordingly. The 5D however would not function to make the exposure. The exposure I set was :
ISO 100
Fstop. 16
Shutter. 1/125
Could have been a brick on my tripod just as easily for all the photos I got. The manual on pg 251 does not address this behavior. I'm at a loss.

@ltouchstone wrote:
ISO 100
Fstop. 16
Shutter. 1/125

What lens were you using, and did you set the focus manually? Sometimes a camera won't fire if there isn't enough light for the (auto-focusing) lens to achieve focus. Unless the selected focus point was right on the moon, that may have been the case here.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ltouchstone
Apprentice
That may well be the problem. It was indeed set to autofocus. I will indeed try it tonight. Since the 5D operates normally in every other way I feel like the problem lies with me and you may well have hit the solution. Thank you.
Announcements