cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it normal for my new 80d to make creeking sound everytime i handle it by the grip?

Leeman84
Contributor

new to DSLRs and i purchased a new 80d from best buy and the camera is awesome but it seems to make a creeking sound everytime i grab it from the hand grip on the right? is that just a normal thing to expect since its ruber and plastice body, or could something be be loose?

20 REPLIES 20

"new to DSLRs and i purchased a new 80d from Best Buy ...."

There's your problem right there.  Just yesterday I was criticizing the "Big Blue Box" store for having bad merchandise.  I suggest that you take it back, and get a refund.  I have had to return every lens I ever bought there, three. 

I mostly use B&H Photo Video.  Return that lens, ASAP.  Use a different vendor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

"new to DSLRs and i purchased a new 80d from Best Buy ...."

There's your problem right there.  Just yesterday I was criticizing the "Big Blue Box" store for having bad merchandise.  I suggest that you take it back, and get a refund.  I have had to return every lens I ever bought there, three. 

I mostly use B&H Photo Video.  Return that lens, ASAP.  Use a different vendor.

Sorry that is complete nonsense. BestBuy is a Canon authorized dealer and there is no reason to return your camera, and buy from someone else.

As for the squeak, yes, it normal for the memory card door to squeak slightly when it is squeezed. My 6D use to do that, it no longer does. Don't be OCD about it, enjoy your camera. If after using for 6 months it still bothers you, send it in to Canon for service, but, I bet you don't.

"Sorry that is complete nonsense. BestBuy is a Canon authorized dealer and there is no reason to return your camera, and buy from someone else." 

You're entitled to your opinions, and I will stick to my experiences.  I have repeatedly received bad merchandise from them.  I don't care if they are an authorized dealer.  What difference does that make?  They have a quality control or security problem in some stores.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Leeman84
Contributor
Exchanged it this afternoon and manager said it was indeed making excessive noise new one is perfect! Just in time for my family vacation to Idaho, can't wait to take some great pics on the river! Thanks everyone for your input!

Remember, cameras don't  like to get wet. You might want to get one of the waterproof point and shoots....

scdrew8
Apprentice

hey i had the same problem the sound in the camera grip. like a squeky wooden floor and it was getting worse. i stopped by costa mesa service center. the guys there were like whoa its loud. got an email saying they replace the grip or i guess fixed it. so yes its an issue but not sure how many other cameras are affected by it.

JoeJackson
Contributor

The grip squeks also on my 80D. Its gives up next to to where the rubber grip meets the trigger area. My 70D does not do this. But it really makes my 80D feel cheap..

I agree, it does make the camera feel cheap. I noticed that my new 80D has this issue and I am returning it. Hopefully the replacement 80D doesn't have the problem. Mine also came with a large dirt speck stuck on the focusing screen, impervious to my bulb blower.

JoeJackson
Contributor

My 80D has this problem to. The actual hand grip is squeeks/creeks what ever you want to call it. The point that does this is on the hand grip at the top of the rubber gripping right under the plastic top were the shutter button is. You can actually feel it give slightly like a screw is loose. My 70D does not have this issue. Its annoying as heck to say the least and really makes the camera feel cheep. While I do not see this actually being a serious issue, it is something I will have Canon check out when I send it in for servicing in the future. 

Jerrygarcia3
Apprentice
I contacted them today and they are sending me a shipping label so I can send it back. It's frustrating having to send it back a 2nd time when I clearly noted the issue the first time, but it was completely ignored.
Announcements