Did you mean: 

how do a mute camera operational sounds such as shutter on EOS 70d

jack1165
Apprentice

how do i mute camera operational sounds such as shutter on eos 70d

5 REPLIES 5

cicopo
Elite

I don't have one so I can't say that the option is available but on the cameras I have you set it as one of the DRIVE modes. (1 shot, 4 FPS, 8 FPS, S for silent, timer ,  or something like that)

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks - there is a setting on the drive which lowers the volume but does the entirely mute the sound. 

If your aim is to completely mute the sounds, as in silent........pretty sure you can't do that on any Canon.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

In reading your question, this might mean two different things....

In "video" mode, if you use the internal microphone to record audio during video recording, you might hear the sound of the focus motor in the recorded video.  Canon "STM" lenses use an extremely quiet "Stepper Motor" which is usually too quiet to be detected by the internal microphone (it's generally never a problem if you use an external microphone even if the lens has a noisy focusing motor.)

When you take a photo, the "shutter" sound is really two different things... (1) the loudest sound is the "mirror slap" noise created by the reflex mirror which has to swing clear so that it doesn't block the sensor and (2) not nearly as loud but not completely silent is the sound of the curtain shutter opening and closing.

But in "video" mode, the reflex mirror and curtain shutter system remain open during the entire recording session -- so you wont hear those noises in the audio part of your recording because those components don't actually move (so they don't make any noise "during" the recording.

The second possibility is that your'e asking about the shutter noise when shooting photographs (not video).   

Not all cameras support this feature, but the 70D happens to be a model that does include the feature.  Canon calls it the "Silent" shutter.  It's technically not "silent" but it's much quieter than the normal shutter mode.

In this mode, Canon substantially slows down the speed of the reflex mirror so that it doesn't make that loud "mirror slap" noise (you'll still hear it, but it will be a softer slap sound.)    I use this on my 5D III if I'm shooting an event and don't want the camera to be a distraction.  For example... if you're shooting photos during the middle of a wedding cermony, you don't want to distract everyone with a bunch of clicking.  You can enbale the Silent shutter mode and ... while YOU will still hear a click, it's soft enough that people farther away probably wont be able to hear it.

To enable the mode, press the "Drive" button.  This is the same button you use to switch from "single' shot to "continuous" shooting mode.  You'll see some icons, some of which are single rectangles, some are a stack of about 3 rectangles (to indicate a "single" shot mode vs. "continuous" shooting modes.  But you'll notice that there's also a icon of a single rectangle with an "S" next to the rectangle.  That "S" stands for "Silent".  Pick that mode and you'll be in single silent shooting mode.  There's also an "S" with a stack of rectangles (silent continuous shooting) and also a mode with an "H" next to a stack of rectangles (High-speed Continuous shooting mode.)

I hope that answered the question.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you, I found your reply to be the most informative. I was looking for a way to silence my camera for some wedding photos that I'm going to be taking. Though it would be better if it could be completely silent, the sound is now managable. 

Announcements