cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hi I have a t4i canon I can shoot in af when I am look into my canon peep hole

youngbowe
Apprentice

hi I have a t4i canon I cant shoot in af. when I look into my canon peep hole it wont fire. only when i put it on full screen it focus and fire. when i look into the peep whole it has this green dot flash on in off. what can i do asap. and im shooting in M mode

6 REPLIES 6

diverhank
Authority

You have provided so little info for us to form a mental picture of what your problem is...based on what you wrote...

1. Check the lens and make sure the focus button is on AF and not MF (most likely it's on AF since it works in liveview).

2. Liveview focus (on screen) and picture taking focus (via viewfinder or peep hole as you put it) is very different.  Picture taking focus is more precise and therefore sometimes harder to achieve.  This is what you probably were seeing.

3. The green dot flashing in the viewfinder signifies that focus is not achieved.  When focus is not achieved, you cannot trip the shutter.  That is what you were seeing.

4. You gave the impression that no matter what, focus cannot be achieved.  Were you trying to take a picture in good light or poor light? Was your subject blending in with the background or there was good contrast?  There is a point when focus is not possible (low light low contrast).  Again see # 2. Picture via liveview might be possible but focus quality would be questionable.  If you can't achieve auto-focus no matter what then something is seriously wrong.  See # 1.  You might have to send it in for repair or try a different lens.

5. If light is so poor you can't focus, switch the lens to MF (# 1) and manually focus yourself.  If you are willing to use flash, pop it up...it will help the camera focus with the flash assist feature.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thanks man. But my subject and background are two different colors. I Tryed everything still nothing.

Sorry man. You gave me nothing to go on here. Can you focus outdoors in bright sunlight? What lens are you using? You mentioned using M mode...does it work in other modes...? That would be a start :)...I can't read your mind and my shooting in the dark (no pun intended) is not working too well. Good luck with your problem but I give up. Sorry.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

It does not work in none of the modes. I'm using 18-135 STM. But when I go to live view the focus work fine. It Tryed in the light n the dark still not working

OK, not knowing the exact situation either, here goes. Set the camera to the green square. Set the lens to AF. Go outside, in daylight, and take a picture of a subject about 15 feet from the camera. Does auto focus work? If it does you have something set wrong for the other shot you are trying to get.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Youngbowe,

I recommend that you contact us for assistance with this.  For contact options, please click here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements