cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

full frame suggestions

tjkraemer1
Contributor

Hello ...I'm new to this forum and found some very informative feed back to some of the members questions so i figured id take some time to get some opinions for myself about my particular question. I currently own a 7dmk2 with a verity of "L" lens

( EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM,  EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM.) as well as a sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and 10-16 f/2.8. I mostly shoot sports and action type events as well as wildlife. I want to shoot more indoor activities and landscape/astro type work. I love my 7dmk2 and was wondering what your opinions are on a full frame camera since i already have the action type shots covered with the 7dmk22?

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Your Sigma lenses are made strictly for APS-C camera bodies, like your 7D2. The 7D2 should be up to task of landscape photos. Invest in a 600EX RT III strobe for indoor shots, instead of a FF body. Buying a FF body means buying lenses for indoor shots.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for responding to my post and your suggestions as to using a strobe for indoor shooting. I have a flash and use it when i can indoors. I was planning on upgrading my sigma lens to FF "L" series lens. I was planning on shooting all my action phots with the 7dmk2 and buying a FF the rest of the time. My thoughts were do i buy the new 6dmk2 , 5dmk3 or is it worth steping up to the 5dmk4.

@tjkraemer1 wrote:

Thank you for responding to my post and your suggestions as to using a strobe for indoor shooting. I have a flash and use it when i can indoors. I was planning on upgrading my sigma lens to FF "L" series lens. I was planning on shooting all my action phots with the 7dmk2 and buying a FF the rest of the time. My thoughts were do i buy the new 6dmk2 , 5dmk3 or is it worth steping up to the 5dmk4.

The best of that trio is the 5D4.  The best buy in a full frame is the entry level 6D, which can be purchased through Canon’s Online Refurbished Store at a significant discount.

For the current selling prices, the 5D3 is probably a better buy than the 6D2.  The 5D3 has a better build and dual card slots.  The 6D2 has higher resolution, plus both built-in Wi-Fi and GPS.

If you are accustomed to the button layout of a 7D2, then I would suggest either the 5D3 or the 5D4.  It’s your budget, take your pick.

Thanks again for insight. I was thinking that if I went with the 5dmk4 ..i would be set for many years to come. Out of curiosity...what gear do you shot with?

@tjkraemer1 wrote:

Thanks again for insight. I was thinking that if I went with the 5dmk4 ..i would be set for many years to come. Out of curiosity...what gear do you shot with?

I have the lenses you cited, plus the EF 16-35mm f/2.8 II USM, and a couple of other “L” zoom lenses.  I shoot with a 6D, 7D Mak II, 1D Mark IV, and I am trying out the 6D Mark II, which I picked over the 5D Mark III.  I liked the AF system in the 6D2 better than the one in the 5D3, and didn’t want to spend nearly double for a 5D4 to get something comparable in a 5D body.

I am a camera nerd, not a professional photographer.  

I own a 5D IV, and a III, and I had the II before that (although I’ve sold the II).  I _really_ like the Mk IV.

However... for “astro”, everything is manual focus anyway (so the AF system doesn’t matter) and you don’t even use the metering system (even that is manual for astro work).  Basically you want a sensor and a means to tell it when to take the shot and how long to hold the shutter open.

For astro, it’s basically all about sensor performance and the body features aren’t so important.

BTW, I assume you plan to do astrophotography with normal camera lenses and not through a telescope.  If you want to shoot through a telescope then a full frame camera kinda opens a can of worms.  Most scopes can’t produce a nice flat field that large (the stars will start going soft in the corners unless you have a vETG high end scope.  Also you can’t use a typical 2” nosepiece with t-ring adapter because the t-ring adapter’s inside clearance is about 37mm across and the camera sensor is about 44mm across... so you get strong vignetting in all the corners (there are camera nosepieces for full-frame cameras that get around this.)    

For other indoor purposes... sure a 5D IV is fantastic but you can’t use your APS-C lenses and your long lenses are probably too narrow for most indoor use (unless it’s a very big room so you have the space to shoot subjects from a distance).  So you’d have to factor in the cost of at least one additional lens.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@tjkraemer1 wrote:

If you have the budget for a 5D Mark IV, then go for it.  As I have noted, you will want to buy a shorter lens than your two “L” lenses, not unless all you plan to shoot are action shots.

My two favorite walk around AF lenses are the EF 16-35 f/2.8L II USM, and the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM.  I had the “nifty, fifty”,  EF 50mm STM, and gave it to one my sons, and it really is a pretty sharp lens.  The walk around lens to have is probably the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM.  

If you are interested in astrophotographers with conventional DSLR lenses, then you want to invest in a fairly robust tripod, with a high quality head.  With a full frame body, and professional grade lenses, that can present an off-center load that will tax the stability of most consumer tripods.  Look for something than can handle in excess of 30 lbs, proferably more than 50 lbs.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@tjkraemer1 wrote:

If you have the budget for a 5D Mark IV, then go for it.  As I have noted, you will want to buy a shorter lens than your two “L” lenses, not unless all you plan to shoot are action shots.

My two favorite walk around AF lenses are the EF 16-35 f/2.8L II USM, and the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM.  I had the “nifty, fifty”,  EF 50mm STM, and gave it to one my sons, and it really is a pretty sharp lens.  The walk around lens to have is probably the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM.  

If you are interested in astrophotographers with conventional DSLR lenses, then you want to invest in a fairly robust tripod, with a high quality head.  With a full frame body, and professional grade lenses, that can present an off-center load that will tax the stability of most consumer tripods.  Look for something than can handle in excess of 30 lbs, proferably more than 50 lbs.

I have one suggestion that differs slightly from Waddizzle's advice. The EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II is indeed a fine lens, but I see it as primarily a landscape or indoor event lens. As an outdoor walkabout lens, I recommend the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS. It's plenty sharp, and the extra reach can be useful. It also has image stabilization. I have the original version, but there's now a Mark II version that's apparently even better.

Of course if weight is no consideration and your walkabout routine allows for two lenses, the 24-70 and the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II is about as good as it gets. The 24-70 doesn't have IS, but you don't need it as much in that range.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I would really like to thank everyone for the great advise. I do have a heavy duty tripod/ball head combo(benro TMA37c/Sirui K20x) that i use so I have that covered. Its not the best but it works well for me. Love that combo...Ive used my 7dmk2 and the 100-400mm lens and it works well. I pretty much decided on the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II but am strugling with the 5dmk4. It has some features on it that I wont use much and am not sure if i want to pay the premium price for them. I wont use the video fuinction much. I did have a media card fail on me so I really like the idea of having dual card slots. Money is really not the deciding factor but the money saved by not buying the 5dmk4 could go toward the new 24-70. So i guess the real question is...look at the new 6dmk2 and accept that it only has one card slot or go with the either the 5dmk3 or 5dmk4. I quess i'll just have to figure that out on my own.

Announcements