cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dial mode cap

bscottberg
Apprentice

I have owned a 5d3 for about 6 months now and the dial mode cap fell off when I picked up my camera a couple days ago. What is the best way to get it replaced repaired?  It seems the whole top plate may need to be replaced which suggests sending to Canon for warranty work....  Is this true?  Is there not just a way to get the cap/cover part with the mode settings?  

-Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ezpop
Rising Star

If you are a handy person, a tiny bit of glue will stick the plate back onto the dial. Otherwise, send it back for warranty service.

[Mod note - removed per FORUM GUIDELINES]

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ezpop
Rising Star

If you are a handy person, a tiny bit of glue will stick the plate back onto the dial. Otherwise, send it back for warranty service.

[Mod note - removed per FORUM GUIDELINES]

Yes the ebay link you provided was the "dail mode cap" I was referring to thank you.  It appears the forum may have removed the image/link though.  The $22 plus $4 shipping I think I will just send it in as long as I have the warranty coverage.  I would hate to accidently freeze the dail mode dial.  thank you!

@bscottberg wrote:

I have owned a 5d3 for about 6 months now and the dial mode cap fell off when I picked up my camera a couple days ago. What is the best way to get it replaced repaired?  It seems the whole top plate may need to be replaced which suggests sending to Canon for warranty work....  Is this true?  Is there not just a way to get the cap/cover part with the mode settings?  

-Brian

There was a rather long thread on this subject a couple of months ago, but the culprit was the 6D, not the 5D3. I think everyone accepts that Canon tried to keep the price of the 6D down, relative to other FF options, and that the crappy glue job on the dial plate was probably an unfortunate fallout of that effort. But it's frankly less excusable in the 5D3, whose price justifies a higher level of workmanship.

Full disclosure: I own a 5D3 and have never even seen a 6D.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I am surprised that Canon would even let this kind of dial mode cap fell off quality issue happen?!

It is a full frame camera and their project manager / chief designer would even allow a "double sided tape" to be used in this class of product?  I would accepted the fact if this is a $100 camera.

I went through quite few cameras in my life but this is the first time and only time I have a camera with the dial mode cap fell off and Canon has not even come up a permanent fix it other than just use another double sided tape or advise customers to use super glue!!!  Common, a few screws or some kind of small rivets should have fixed the problem once and forever, if they really care about their reputation.  Not sure if any one in Canon management is embrassed when they see Amazon carry the replacement cap.  I was thinking to buy a new 5D3 or 5DS, not I am withdrawn that idea.

Double sided tape on a functional part of a high end camera, what is the top management thinking?  on 6D and 5D3!!!  I would not be so upset if they use the double sided tape to hold the EOS sign on the camera, at least if it fell off, I does not hurt the function of the camera.

Wake up please, Canon.

@5008cooper wrote:

I am surprised that Canon would even let this kind of dial mode cap fell off quality issue happen?!

It is a full frame camera and their project manager / chief designer would even allow a "double sided tape" to be used in this class of product?  I would accepted the fact if this is a $100 camera.

I went through quite few cameras in my life but this is the first time and only time I have a camera with the dial mode cap fell off and Canon has not even come up a permanent fix it other than just use another double sided tape or advise customers to use super glue!!!  Common, a few screws or some kind of small rivets should have fixed the problem once and forever, if they really care about their reputation.  Not sure if any one in Canon management is embrassed when they see Amazon carry the replacement cap.  I was thinking to buy a new 5D3 or 5DS, not I am withdrawn that idea.

Double sided tape on a functional part of a high end camera, what is the top management thinking?  on 6D and 5D3!!!  I would not be so upset if they use the double sided tape to hold the EOS sign on the camera, at least if it fell off, I does not hurt the function of the camera.

Wake up please, Canon.

Despite my previous comment, I think you're going a little bit over the edge here. There's nothing wrong with using superglue to attach the dial plate; it just has to be done correctly. Screws or rivets on something that small would be overkill and might prove to be even more likely to fail. If a screw that small ever loosened and fell out, you'd probably never find it. Even if you did, you're not likely to have a screwdriver small enough to screw it back in

Let's face it: This is an annoying (for the user) and embarrassing (for Canon), but ultimately trivial, failure. Some cameras have chronic focusing problems, shutters that fail before their time, etc. Those would be reasons not to buy the camera; a loose dial plate isn't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I don't have a camera that has ever lost the mode dial plate.  

But... when you consider your choice of adhesives or cements... are there any screws, etc. that need to be accessed below that plate (how is the knob attached to the camera body)?

If yes, then consider something less permant.  If no, then cement away so there's no risk of it ever falling off again.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements