cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon EOS 20D sensor cleaning

guillaume_1980
Apprentice

hello all,

I'm new to this forum and i'm coming here because i couldnt find an answer to my question so far..

It's about my canon EOS 20D sensor cleaning, after a year without being used i've found some "artefacts" appeared on the pictures... I know there is a lot of stuff said, done and shown about it...But it's no dust.. i've ordered a cleaning kit from visible dust which came very complete with all the bells and whistles... but the "cracks" won't disappear..

Yes this looks like what i can only describe as "veins" or cracks.. like a mycosis..

I've took a picture for you to see.

Any input will be GREATLY appreciated since i'm in a state of .. despair right now i'd say. .

Thanks guys !

ps: forgive me if i made some mistakes, english is not my first language.

IMG_0613.jpg

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

This is probably a hair, or a bristle from a previous cleaning. when you raise the camera for cleaning do you see anything?

That looks like a hair. 

sensei_bl_011_bulb_air_blower_cleaning_system_1363210249000_838818.jpg

If you have an air bulb blower, then that could blow it out of the camera.  Turn the camera so that any debris can fall out of it, when you blow it out.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It could be and likely is mold.  It will be very difficult for you to remove if not impossible.  Take it to a real Canon repair shop.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It could be and likely is mold.  It will be very difficult for you to remove if not impossible.  Take it to a real Canon repair shop.

IOW, what you see as the sensor is actually made up of two or more layers of material. If a fungus works its way between the layers, getting it out is not a DIY project and could cost you more than a 20D is worth.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Fungus in the camera.  You buy a new one.

Now, what about the lenses that you used with it?  Shouldn't they be sanitized, sterilized, or something, too?

Mold/fungus often looks like hairs on the sensor.  Whoever said it may not be cost effective to have it cleaned is proably correct.  Smiley Sad  Having a real deal Canon shop remove a single screw is probably not cost effective on a 20D!

"...what about the lenses that you used with it?"

Could be where it came from in the first place.  At any rate a Canon repair shop needs to be contacted.

EB

"...after a year without being used i've found some "artefacts"..."

This is a clue. Smiley Wink

EB

hello, thanks for you input.

Yes it looks like fungus or something like this indeed...

It's no hair for sure at least. When i blowed air with air bulb blower or rub it with the appropriate tools nothing moves. It seems to be "behing" a layer of glass actually (like roberthefat said for the sensor).

Unfortunately we don't have a canon representative here in New Caledonia..Best bet would be to bring it to a shop in Australia on a trip to see if they can do something, at least appraised it, but if the repair cost more than the camera itself... argh...i'm doomed ! 😕

@guillaume_1980 wrote:

hello, thanks for you input.

Yes it looks like fungus or something like this indeed...

It's no hair for sure at least. When i blowed air with air bulb blower or rub it with the appropriate tools nothing moves. It seems to be "behing" a layer of glass actually (like roberthefat said for the sensor).

Unfortunately we don't have a canon representative here in New Caledonia..Best bet would be to bring it to a shop in Australia on a trip to see if they can do something, at least appraised it, but if the repair cost more than the camera itself... argh...i'm doomed ! 😕

Repair cost is almost certainly to be more than the cost of a used 20D. 

I have a camera in the shop getting repaired right now, because I love it so much.  I look at it like this.  I would compare it to restoring an old car.  When I get it back, I intend to retire it in under environmentally controlled conditions.

Announcements