cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon 600d problem

Johnosurfbeatz
Contributor
Hey Guys. Apologies for the awful lingo, as my camera knowledge is very limited.

I have a Canon 600d. The wheel that changes the aperture and the iso etc does not work anymore. The one by your first finger. Now it’s not that new a camera and it’s an £85 service charge excluding VAT and god knows how much extra for the rest. It’s not worth it

So I was going to have a go on my own. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or know of another fix?

And what’s that wheel even called in camera turns. Once again, I am useless with cameras so apologies for sounding like a dummy
6 REPLIES 6

@Johnosurfbeatz wrote:
Hey Guys. Apologies for the awful lingo, as my camera knowledge is very limited.

I have a Canon 600d. The wheel that changes the aperture and the iso etc does not work anymore. The one by your first finger. Now it’s not that new a camera and it’s an £85 service charge excluding VAT and god knows how much extra for the rest. It’s not worth it

So I was going to have a go on my own. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or know of another fix?

And what’s that wheel even called in camera turns. Once again, I am useless with cameras so apologies for sounding like a dummy

Since you evidently don't have the instruction manual, download it from Canon's Web site. It has diagrams that will tell you what all the wheels and buttons are called and what they're supposed to do.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Two things for you to.

1st ... do d/l the manual for your camera and read it.

2nd ... reset the camera to factory.  Anytime things don't do as you think they should, reset the cameras.

(The manual will tell you how!)  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You may just have a slipping rubber wheel on your Main Dial. Here is how you can fix it yourself: http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/gear/bodies/Fixing-Slipping-Main-Dial-On-A-Canon-DSLR.html

762563D1-5D27-4966-96A1-81A2750C25B1.jpeg

I lifted up the rubber grip on the main dial with my finger (as shown in the photo below), and used a toothpick to apply some glue to the plastic wheel. The rubber grip was released back into position, I rotated the main dial by approximately 180 degrees, and repeated the process with some more glue.

Mike Sowsun

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Make sure you aren't in full-auto mode (on the mode dial).  In 'auto' mode you are blocked from making changes (the dial wont do anything).  You would need to be in one of the "creative" modes (P, Av, Tv, or M).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Unfortunately

No auto mode

Its a plastic wheel and not a rubber one

However I did find out it is called the "Main Wheel" according to the manual

I also did a factory reset and no luck

It was the one just in the settings tab.

😞

Announcements