cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannon 70d

martha123
Apprentice

purchased my cannon 70d April 2016 1 year later I had to have a new mother board . Thank goodness it was still under guarentee.

Today march 2018 my camera was not wotking well. So back it goes and  guess what? it needs another mother board over £200.  They tell me this is commom with 70D and that they have brought out a new and better mother board.

But surely after 2 years I should not be on my 3rd board  I am gutted.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Fix, save a little and sell.  it will only take a few hundred pounds extra for a 77D and you won't have to worry about the PCB failing a 4th time.  No doubt the 70D is a great body...  when it works.  Reliability is a factor that cannot be ignored.  Who has the time or $$$ to constantly have their car or camera in the repair shop.

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-70D-vs-Canon-EOS-77D

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I don't usually say things like this, but I believe you are absolutely correct.  There appears to be reports from enough people who by no fault of their own have suffered from this defect.  That's exactly what it is, a catastrophic defect.  I've owned a few items over the years that were the same, and know exactly how you feel.  Hard pill to swallow.  I'd fix and sell.  There is another canon product out there that will live up to the quality you were expecting.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"it needs another mother board over £200"

Isn't that MB under warranty?  It would be here in the US.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1wrote:

"it needs another mother board over £200"

Isn't that MB under warranty?  It would be here in the US.

I think it would've if she'd paid for it. But since it was a free replacement for a defective original part, maybe its warranty expires with the original warranty.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

CPS warrants anything they do.  Who knows about the rest of Canon?

EB

@ebiggs1wrote:

CPS warrants anything they do.  Who knows about the rest of Canon?

Well, Ernie, maybe it's time for one of your occasional paeans to CPS. You're probably CPS's most eloquent spokesman in this forum; so if you don't do it, who will?

Full disclosure: I too am a CPS (Gold) member.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'm singing !Smiley LOL

EB

In reality CPS has done, for many years, outstanding service for me.  Everybody's CS and service department should copy CPS.

EB

You right it the warranty has expired only just. They tell me due to all the problems with the mother board that they have brought a new one out now which is much better. I can only hope as I can’t afford another camera 📷 

Fix, save a little and sell.  it will only take a few hundred pounds extra for a 77D and you won't have to worry about the PCB failing a 4th time.  No doubt the 70D is a great body...  when it works.  Reliability is a factor that cannot be ignored.  Who has the time or $$$ to constantly have their car or camera in the repair shop.

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-70D-vs-Canon-EOS-77D

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements