cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camera says cannot create folder

mw
Apprentice

have been on a cruise and tried to use their computer to download some photos but would not work  -now my camera says *cannot create folder*  - my computer also cannot see the photos even though my computer says there's only 3gb space left on a 16gb card  my camera is an EOS 60D  - my card a San Disk Ultra 30Mb 10  16gb

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

It sounds as though the SD card has become corrupted. But it might be possible to recover the files. There's lots of advice online on how to do it. You might start here...http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/storage/3481659/how-get-files-off-corrupt-sd-card/

Good luck, I know how much vacation pictures can mean.

View solution in original post

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Your best bet is to get another SD card and put the questionable card aside until you get home.  

You would not want to reformat the card because that would wipe out any images you've already taken -- but the camera probably will not be able to continue to use the card until you do reformat the card.

I always cringe at the thought of putting memory cards, USB flash-drives, etc. into a "shared" computer.  As a public access / shared computer, it's especialy vulnerable to becomming infected with malware.  Even though you did not deliberately choose to format or write to the card, it's possible that malware (without your knowledge) did exactly this... to embed a bootable file onto the drive.

BTW... this creates a bit of a risk when trying to import your images onto your home computer.  You need to be sure that your Windows is NOT configured to auto-run anything when a removable device is connected.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you certain you did not do anything besides copy your photos off your SD card to "their" computer?  Hmmmm?

My advise is, never use big SD cards. Smiley Sad  Always use several small ones. When something goes wrong, as it eventually will, you don't lose everything. Save the big SD cards for video not stills.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

6 REPLIES 6

mw
Apprentice

sorry my camera is a Canon 650D not as i have said in my previous email 60D   thank you

It sounds as though the SD card has become corrupted. But it might be possible to recover the files. There's lots of advice online on how to do it. You might start here...http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/storage/3481659/how-get-files-off-corrupt-sd-card/

Good luck, I know how much vacation pictures can mean.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Your best bet is to get another SD card and put the questionable card aside until you get home.  

You would not want to reformat the card because that would wipe out any images you've already taken -- but the camera probably will not be able to continue to use the card until you do reformat the card.

I always cringe at the thought of putting memory cards, USB flash-drives, etc. into a "shared" computer.  As a public access / shared computer, it's especialy vulnerable to becomming infected with malware.  Even though you did not deliberately choose to format or write to the card, it's possible that malware (without your knowledge) did exactly this... to embed a bootable file onto the drive.

BTW... this creates a bit of a risk when trying to import your images onto your home computer.  You need to be sure that your Windows is NOT configured to auto-run anything when a removable device is connected.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you certain you did not do anything besides copy your photos off your SD card to "their" computer?  Hmmmm?

My advise is, never use big SD cards. Smiley Sad  Always use several small ones. When something goes wrong, as it eventually will, you don't lose everything. Save the big SD cards for video not stills.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

thanks for the advice Maggie

did you ever get the pictures off? i am having a similar problem .

Announcements