cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

after t2i

jgranthony
Apprentice

hello. First time here. I have a t2i,that i love using. I am ready to move up. The 5d is to expensive. I was thinking either the 6d or 7dmkII, but am not sure which way to go. I use the t2i for everything,nothing specific. Would welcome any input. thanks in advance, tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The 6d with the 24-105 f/4L combo kit is only $1,999.00. Be sure to get the f/4 L lens, not the new less expensive variable aperture non-L lens.

For a second longer lens, the 70-200 f/4 without IS is only $600 and it is a big white. For $1,100 you can get the one with IS.

A fast bright prime is a fantastic thing to have, both for its ability to shoot an 8 x faster shutter in the same light as an f/4 lens could, and it also gives you a fantastic shallow depth of field shot wide open. A Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is a fantastic versatile lens. Or a Canon 85mm f/1.8 is great for portraits.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

cicopo
Elite

What lenses do you have? The 6D will need EF mount lenses making any of your EF-S lenses still usable with the old camera but not the new one. A 7D2 can use the EF-S lenses which may be good but  not the only deciding factor. FF bodies get a shallower DOF (Depth of Field) than crop bodies at any given f stop. If you have an interest in the very shallow DOF some like to use when shooting things like flowers or kids etc you need to factor that in.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

hello

my lenses are all efs, 10-18,18-55 and 55-250. Looks like i'll either be changing lenses or buying the 7mkII. could get expensive, but i'd rather do it once then have to change again at a later time. once again, thanks in advance for the input

tony

ScottyP
Authority
You didn't say you are super serious about fast sports, birds in flight or shooting outside in bad weather or while rock climbing. That kind of suggests the 7d2 isn't really needed, though if you just want it, there's nothing wrong with that.

If you want to stay with crop body, the T6i or T6s that are coming soon have the AF from the old 7d Classic, which is not bad. you could save some money for lenses.

If you want to go full frame the 6d is a great general purpose camera. I even shoot kids sports with it and I never find any trouble with the autofocus. It is great inside in low light and you get almost 2 stops better image quality at higher ISO and you get shallower DOF with FF too. I had a couple EF-s lenses to sell when I went full frame but I am very happy I did. Craigslist is really easy to use and stuff sells pretty fast if you are realistic about your asking price.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

I should repeat the old saying about lenses being more important than bodies. You need to replace them all if you go FF of course, but even if you stay with crop, and Especially If you did buy into a very expensive crop body like the 7d you should be sure to upgrade the 2 kit lenses.
Scott

hello

point taken on the lenses. have been looking others, am open to suggestions, thanks tony

The 6d with the 24-105 f/4L combo kit is only $1,999.00. Be sure to get the f/4 L lens, not the new less expensive variable aperture non-L lens.

For a second longer lens, the 70-200 f/4 without IS is only $600 and it is a big white. For $1,100 you can get the one with IS.

A fast bright prime is a fantastic thing to have, both for its ability to shoot an 8 x faster shutter in the same light as an f/4 lens could, and it also gives you a fantastic shallow depth of field shot wide open. A Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is a fantastic versatile lens. Or a Canon 85mm f/1.8 is great for portraits.
Scott

Your timing might be just right on the upgrade. Canon (USA) has just lowered some prices that might help.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1350973

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Tony,

I am a big believer in keeping your photographic system balanced. I mean equal in quality levels.

With the lenses you currently have I would rule out a 7D or 7D Mk II. Although they will work on either one. The new T6i would be a good fit, IMHO, for you. And it will be a big step up for you.

If you do get unbalanced equipment it should be the other way around with top lenses instead of bodies.

Of course what you have rules out the 6D unless you are into buying new lenses.  There is always the xxD line which includes the 60D and 70D right now.  You might give them a look see.

My opinion and worth every cent.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-6d-refurbi...

Canon refurb 6D w/24-105 for $1840. If you call Canon you can get the Loyalty Program discount by trading in your T2i.

Call the CLP number that is 1 (866) 443 8002. Then select Option 2. This number is open 7 days a week, 8:00AM til Midnight Eastern Time.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements