cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Opinion 1DS

RBartkus
Apprentice

Currently working with a 7D MkII

Considering going to a full frame format;  either going through MPB for a 1Ds MkIII or a 5d mkIII or IV

I would appreciate any opinions y'all might have or experiences

Thanks

Rick

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...a 1Ds MkIII or a 5d mkIII or IV"

Ok, right off I have owned and used the 1ds3 and Mk III.  I have not owned the 5d4.

Those two cameras made me a lot of money.  Neither had any issues, ever.  They did not have easy lives!

Basically, there is only one practical difference between the 1ds3 and the 5d3.  That is high ISO.  Other than that they are pretty similar.  You will be hard pressed to tell which camera took any certain photo.

The 1ds3 is bigger and heavier and is better built.  The opposite is true of the 5d3.  Which way, lighter or heavier, is more important to you is what you should use to choose.  This is not to say the 5d3 is of poor build because it is very well made, too.

Personally I have a distinct love for the 1 series cameras and the 1Ds Mk III would be the one I would choose.  However, you inserted the 5D Mk IV into the equation.  Always best to go with the latest most newest technology.  If you got the coin go for the 5D Mk IV.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks.

I have been leaning toward the 1D system.   

I believe the 1D has at least one additional processor, but I have not yet been able to confirm that.  Perhaps it was just in my dreams (LOL)

Rick

@RBartkus wrote:

Thanks.

I have been leaning toward the 1D system.   

I believe the 1D has at least one additional processor, but I have not yet been able to confirm that.  Perhaps it was just in my dreams (LOL)

Rick

The 1Ds3 was and is a fine camera. (Those things last forever.) But it's very dated technology today, and Canon may even have stopped supporting it. If you really have your heart set on the 1D series, get a 1DX Mark II. Otherwise, take Ernie's advice and get a 5D4.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thx

Rick,

"I have been leaning toward the 1D system."

There is just something about a 1 series.  Once you go 1 series you'll never go back.  At least you won't be as happy about it.

The 1Ds Mk III will do anything, except high ISO, that the 5D Mk III will and do some things better.  But like Robert said it is getting long in the tooth. I think about 12 years old now.  That's a long time in electronics.  Not trying to talk you out of it but just beware of it.  The 1Ds3 is still a capable top notch camera. The last time I had mine serviced CPS still did C&C on them but that was about a year ago.  If not Midwest Camera still repairs them.

The saying among pros is, "You could beat somebody to death with a 1 series camera and then take the crime scene photos with it."  Ya gotta love it.

EB

Again Thanks! 

I will be retiring soon from IT (I am a Database Admin) and moving back to Calif (Riverside/Orange County) So I will be reasonably close to the Canon Customer Service in Irvine.   In any case, while the 5 is tempting and the age of the 1 is older; so am I, so it may be a good choice for me.  Not sure I am much closer to a decision but you have both given me good info to consider.  I always thought the 1D had additional Digic processors but I need to confirm that.

Thanks again

Rick 

"I always thought the 1D had additional Digic processors but I need to confirm that."

I don't think this matters.  If speed is you main most concern, you need the 5D Mk IV.  There is no significant difference in processing speed between the 1ds3 and the 5d3.  The 5D Mk IV will run circles around either of the older cameras.

But it sounds like to me you are leaning and wanting to try a 1 series.  The 1ds3 is a good one to try out. To answer your question the 1ds3 has two DIGIC III image processors.  These are the reason it can shoot FF at 5 fps.

EB

@RBartkus wrote:

Again Thanks! 

I will be retiring soon from IT (I am a Database Admin) and moving back to Calif (Riverside/Orange County) So I will be reasonably close to the Canon Customer Service in Irvine.   In any case, while the 5 is tempting and the age of the 1 is older; so am I, so it may be a good choice for me.  Not sure I am much closer to a decision but you have both given me good info to consider.  I always thought the 1D had additional Digic processors but I need to confirm that.

Thanks again

Rick 

Ernie is around your age, and i'm somewhat older (and also a retired IT person). So you're not being bullied by the younger generation to see things their way. In any case, the cameras you're considering are all very good, so you can hardly go wrong. Enjoy!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@RBartkus wrote:

Currently working with a 7D MkII

Considering going to a full frame format;  either going through MPB for a 1Ds MkIII or a 5d mkIII or IV

I would appreciate any opinions y'all might have or experiences

Thanks

Rick

Right now, if it is not a 1Dx, then there are only two older 1D series cameras I would consider buying, the 1Ds3 or the 1D4.  I close the 1D4 for the faster frame rate and the higher ISO range.  But, it was a close call.  The differences between the cameras are negligible in average shooting scenarios.

If I am not mistaken the two cameras share the same focus system, which is something that the 80D and 6D2 share today.  The 1Ds3 has the higher resolution, and a full frame sensor.  The 1D4 has the slightly smaller APS-H sensor, but still uses only EF lenses.  

I wanted to photographs wild birds, and did not like the IQ from the 7D2.  I was not a fan of the button along the left edge of the rear pane, eitherl.  The 5D series has the same layout, and it is similar to some of the first DSLRs Canon releases.  I have big hands, so I would need a battery grip with those bodies.

For whatever reason, the 1D Series does not continue the tradition of buttons on the left edge, and so I wanted to try one out.  The battery grip was built-in, and the price was right.  My point is simple.  The 1Ds3 is not the only 1D to consider.  Give the 1D4 a look, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements