cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a EOS 1D Mark lll with 10.1 mp give higher quality scenery pics than my 60D with 18 mp?

LesWurse
Enthusiast

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I would think so. DXOmark is 80 vs 66 or so. I would think that FF trumps number of pixels. But it really comes down to the skill of the photographer and the lens.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I would think so. DXOmark is 80 vs 66 or so. I would think that FF trumps number of pixels. But it really comes down to the skill of the photographer and the lens.

Thanks, I'm an experienced amateur but new to Canon's EOS cameras. I'm using a Canon 50mm/1.4 lens for portraits and a Tamron 28-275mm for scenery.

ScottyP
Authority

Not sure it is that clear cut. Image quality and scenery shots are both a bit vague. 

I suspect the 10mp FF camera has less noise than the crop. The 1d will probably do better autofocus on moving subjects.  Obviously the 1 series body is more rugged too. 

I am not sure though that an easy shot of scenery (landscape? Travel?) in broad daylight would be better on the 10mp 1d3 than on the 18mp crop at ISO 100.  The extra resolution of the 18mp sensor might be a factor in favor of the crop, especially if you crop the image at all. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks for your thoughts. My portrait work on our company products is the prime reason for using the D60 with 50mm/1.4 lens.  The rest of  my photography is recreational and probably doesn't  justify buying the used 1D. (Super price and in mint condition though.)

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I would think that FF trumps number of pixels."

Hate to rain on this parade but the 1D Mk III is not a full frame, FF, camera.  The 1Ds Mk III is but not the 1D3.

"Will a EOS 1D Mark lll with 10.1 mp give higher quality scenery ..."

Probably not.  You have nearly twice the mega pickles and a 1.3 vs a 1.6 sensor.  If you had asked which camera is the better camera, the 60D is not even in the same zip code as the 1D Mk III.  There is no instance or situation where I would choose a 60D over a 1D3. Not one!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Well, that did dampen things a bit but I'm finding it hard to justify the 1D Mark lll for my needs anyhow. The bells and whistles on it are tempting though.

Good catch Ernie!

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks, Scott. I love my 1Ds Mk III.  I prefer it to the 5D Mk III which I sold. The only place the 5D3 bests the 1D3 is high ISO.  All the rest goes to the 1Ds Mk III.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements