cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why my Canon 5D IV doesn't add shutter count information to images?

Cunha
Rising Star

Hi, please help me understand and solve this issue.

Just received today a brand new 5DIV. Why this Canon 5D IV doesn't add shutter count information to images?

How to turn on this info so I can use in the future, a Shutter Count application?

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The software you are using doesn't support the camera.

I use a program called "Shutter Count" by DIRE Studio.  

It's about $4.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Ray-uk
Whiz

No Canon DSLR adds records the shutter count in images, this information is stored within the camera and is only accessible with suitable software.

If you have the camera set up to continously record the frame number within the file name then this will give you a general idea of the count as you use it, there is an option in the camera menu for continual file numbering or for it to reset the number when the card is re-formatted which incidentally does not affect the total count stored within the camera.

Thank you for your help.

I used an App called Free Shutter Count with the 5D III and it works.

Now that I plug my new 5DIV to the computer via USB, this the message appears and I cannot understand what it means:

"Shutter count: gp_widget_get_child failed" .-(

The software you are using doesn't support the camera.

I use a program called "Shutter Count" by DIRE Studio.  

It's about $4.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you very much.

Will check that app ,-)

Best regards.

This software from Dire Studio only supports Mac or IPad. What supports Windows?

@beverleylu wrote:
This software from Dire Studio only supports Mac or IPad. What supports Windows?

They must have dropped it.  They definitely *had* a Windows version.  I did a quick search for it and what turned up was an article announcing that they had introduced the Windows version with a link to the product.  When I follow the link, it takes me to the page with the Mac & iOS versions.

Not being a Windows user myself, I'm not able to recommend anything with confidence.   I see lots of products that indicate they support Windows ... I just haven't used any of them and can't vouch for their reliability.

Possiby one of the community's experienced Windows users can share the name of a product that works reliably for them.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

diverhank
Authority

Normally one needs the shutter count only before selling the camera off, right :)?

By the way, the 1D series cameras show you the count on a display - at least the 1DX does.  I also heard some cameras show the count on the exif data but I know my 5D3 and 7D2 do not.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I´m selling a 5DIII.

Just would like to check how many shoots I did with my new camera .-)

Announcements