cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is this happening?

Karinia
Contributor

Hello,

I was shooting a wedding and then my camera started to do this black line through my photos. Its random, shows up both mostly horizontal, but have seen a few vertical ones. Sometimes it will happen and sometimes it will be fine. Anyone seen this before? I cannot figure it out for the life of me. Do you think there is something wrong with my shutter?

My camera hardly has as much use on it. I use my camera around once a year. I am severly upset.

I have a Canon 6D. I also was using 3 different lenses. 

IMG_9057.jpg

IMG_0093.jpgIMG_9051.jpgIMG_0043.jpg

32 REPLIES 32

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Let's hope it is something other than a failing shutter.  Were you using a flash?  

The 6D cannot compensate for flickering light emitted by fluorescent and solid state lighting, either.  But, I have never seen it look that bad before.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I was using a flash, and the flash as well was causing me issues by not firing in sync with the camera, however would it really cause random lines throughout the images? If it missed fired, I would think the images would just be dark. The last image I shared was actually a miss fire and I jacked up the exposer in lightroom so you can see what it was doing. However, the ring shots, was a fairly nice light room (same room as the other picture just mid-day and not night) and had no issues with miss fires at that point. Also sometimes the flash did not even go off. I couldnt tell you what images those were though. Its not like flash was going off more then once to get the weird lines? Also I would think if it was a a broken shutter, it would be in the same spot every time? It shifts a little bit, but does tend to keep on the bottom. Maybe they are getting stuck?? :[

Anyone know canon's general pricing to get your camera looked at?

Bad shutters tend to be sharper lines.  I suspect that you're having an issue with your flash.  What type of flash is it?  It may not be set properly, or not fully recharged between shots.

It's just weird because we never really had issues with the flash before like this. I did try flipping through almost every setting, when I was getting really frustrated. I am becoming more and more convinced its the flash. Which is great!...in a way....I rather it be that then having to get my shutters replaced haha. I can handle getting a new, better flash.

I had something similar once with my 6d and a 3rd party speedlite. Actually the problem wasn't with either. The flash had slid backwards in the hot shoe, just a fraction of an inch so you wouldn't notice. It was enough to disturb the contact between the pins on the flash and the camera and I was getting dark lines like that. 

I pushed it forward and locked it and it and it went away. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thats incrediblely frustrating....

Did you know if it cause the line through the video as well?

@Karinia wrote:

Thats incrediblely frustrating....

Did you know if it cause the line through the video as well?

No, if you have similar fault during video then iy has nothing to with the flash and must be a problem with the camera body.

If that was the case then it should also show up when you are doing still photography without flash.

@ScottyP wrote:

I had something similar once with my 6d and a 3rd party speedlite. Actually the problem wasn't with either. The flash had slid backwards in the hot shoe, just a fraction of an inch so you wouldn't notice. It was enough to disturb the contact between the pins on the flash and the camera and I was getting dark lines like that. 

I pushed it forward and locked it and it and it went away. 

Didn't the flash have a locking slider on the mount?  My Canon 600EX has one, so I would assume other speedlites would, too.

Mine does. I make sure its tight and doesn't move as well. My other camera friends are telling me thought its most likely not a flash issue if its doing that in the video as well too. (check past post if you had not seen it) 

Its not doing it this morning though?? I can't get it to do it again, which is good, but scares me too....

Announcements