cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is M-Raw so slow in 1D X, 5DIII and 6D compared to older cameras?

Peter
Authority
Authority

In 7D

Raw: 15 in one burst.
M-Raw: 24 in one burst.

In 60D

Raw: 16 in one burst.
M-Raw: 19 in one burst.

In 1DX

Raw: 35 in one burst.
M-Raw: 26 in one burst.

6D

Raw: 14 in one burst.
M-Raw: 8 in one burst.

5DIII

Raw: 13 in one burst.
M-Raw: 10 in one burst.

What has Canon done to the M-Raw?

3 REPLIES 3

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Peter,

There are a couple things to keep in mind here.  The hardware in each camera is different from one model to the next.  Processing power and available buffer memory have an impact on the maximum burst.  The newer models, like the EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D and EOS-1D X, also produce higher resolution images that have a larger file size than the earlier models.  The file size of an M-RAW image taken with one camera is not always identical to the file size of an M-RAW image taken with another camera.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your answer, even if it doesn´t explain what Canon did with the new cameras.

The thing is that I bought a 6D. Beause the wireless function from 6D not allow bigger jpg than the smallest one, and because the transferring is not automatically I will need a slow and small 16 GB Eie-fi card instead. I don´t really have any use of 20 mp every time I take pictures, so I thought M-Raw would be a great choice, even if I loose some contrast and image quality in M-Raw compared to Raw. My 7D works like a charm with M-Raw.

Your answer doesn't even make sense. Newer camera M-RAW has larger size than earlier model is true. But that's not what Peter asked. He asked why M-RAW has slower burst than full RAW on these new cameras. For example, in the 5DMIII, you can shoot full RAW at 13 images in one burst, why it is only 10 in 1 burst for M RAW. Since M-RAW is smaller, we should be able to shoot more (compared to full size) in one burst. It was the case with older model, but not new one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements