cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't Canon produce a rubber eye-cup that stays in place?

Lundavra
Enthusiast

I have a EOS400D, EOS450D and EOS6D.  All have lost their rybber eye-cups at various times, so I tend buy two or three replacements at a time.

I am sure it would not be difficult to have some method of ensuring they do not slip out of the mounting so easily - small screw to tighten up perhaps.

Incidentally, I mentioned this to a friend and she said that she would not be able to use one because she is allergic to rubber.  I wonder if they have considered making out of a material that would cause problems for people like that (perhaps they have but I don't remember any comment about it in the manual).

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

They sell just the original 6D viewfinder with the  rubber piece, and the rubber piece by itself.  I'd say glue it on.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

They sell just the original 6D viewfinder with the  rubber piece, and the rubber piece by itself.  I'd say glue it on.

I have come close to getting out the Super Glue several times but it should not be necesary if it was designed better.

I don't own a 6D, but on my 5D III the eyecup has two catch-hooks and you have to squeeze to disengage them before you can slide it up.

Does the 6D not have a similar design and/or were the catches damaged so they don't hold anymore?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

I don't own a 6D, but on my 5D III the eyecup has two catch-hooks and you have to squeeze to disengage them before you can slide it up.

Does the 6D not have a similar design and/or were the catches damaged so they don't hold anymore?

My 6D has the hooks, but my Rebel T5 does not.  The T5 has recently begun so slip off when bumped just right.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TCampbell wrote:

My 6D has the hooks, but my Rebel T5 does not.  The T5 has recently begun so slip off when bumped just right.

There are springs or clips but they tend not to hold it on if rubbed, rubbed etc against anything. Most usual is when I put in the camera bag but they hae come off in lots of places.  I often manage to find it but occasionally I have to buy a new one.

I put little pieces of gaffer tape on each side of rear of the eyepiece. It increased the friction/tightness and holds the eyepiece better. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Another one lost, off the EOS450D.  I am sure it was on last night so hoping the eye-cup is around the house or car.

I had a spare fortunately but given in and put Gaffer Tape on to try and hold in place

I wear glasses so wonder if the eye-cup slides up as you move your head because the glasses are pushing against it.

Another irritation why is everything black, I can understand inner suraces being black to reduce reflections but if the eye-cup was a brighter colour then it would be easier to spot when it came off.  I tend to often put fluorescent and reflective stickers on removal items like lens the hood as well as the camera and lenses themselves.

Announcements