cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which one has better AF system Canon 550D or Canon 1D mark II N

mohankrish
Apprentice

Hi,

I curently using canon 550D for bird photography and often misses the moments due to low FPS on Canon 550D.

My friend suggested me to trade in Canon 550d for good Canon 1D mark II N which has good AF system and high FPS. Yes I may loose some pixels but is it really a worth to give a shot?

Please suggest me.

Thanks,

Mohan

3 REPLIES 3

The 1D Mark II is pretty ancient technology, isn't it? And some of your 550D lenses may not work on it anyway. Most people in this forum (including me) are going to suggest you look into the 7D Mark II instead.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I still shoot a 2n when I need a 3rd body / lens combo ready to go. It does have a very fast & accurate AF but keep in mind the lens also has to have a good AF system too. L's are better than consumer grade lenses in AF speed & better yet lenses with a Focus Limiter switch are faster than lenses without one. I also shoot a 1Ds2 & 1D4 & will be adding a 7D2 for this seasons events. Although the 1D2n is still considered a great camera I had moved from it to the original 7D which I would recommend as your upgrade if you can't afford the new 7D2. It took a while to trust the 7D when I added it to my kit but it did prove to be close enough in AF speed & accuracy (not as good as the 2n but close enough) that it benched the 2n for most of my event shooting.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Almost any newer camera than your T2i will do everything better including the 1D Mk IIn.  I still use mine on very limited occasions.  If you have EF-S lenses, none of them will work on a Mk IIn.

Bob from Boston, aka The Snowman, hits on an important point. The Mk IIn is dated and not likely going to be computer friendly for you.  You will not be able to change any of the Personal Custom Settings for instance.  It does not have lithium batteries either.

Have you considered the 1D Mk III ?  A much better and way more advanced camera and computer friendly.  If you are on the fence about a 1 series, the 1D Mk II (not the 'n' version) can be had in great shape for a couple hundred bucks.  Not a lot of money to see if it is for you or not.  That way you will know if a better and more expensive Mk III or even the fantastic Mk IV is in order.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements