cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I need the pop up flash on my EOS 7D, I get an "err 05" message. ???

Willo
Apprentice

The camera doesn't flash and no photo is taken.  It tries to open the flash but it won't release.  

13 REPLIES 13

magicman
Apprentice

Here's the work-around I came up with. Before pressing the flash release button on the 7D, press a finger firmly down on the back of the flash cover. It's the corner edge adjacent to a small white symbol that is a circle with a line through it. For me this has worked almost 100% of the time. Smiley Happy I never push the flash release button anymore without pressing a finger at the right back corner edge.

It would great if Canon made a mechanical release for the flash or made it totally manual like some of its point and shoot cameras. Lift the flash when you need it. The automatic release is problematic

Larry Barnowsky

www.barnowskymagic.com

Err 05 indicates that the flash is stuck.

The flash is raised by a spring loaded hinge.  There's a mechanical catch-hook that holds the flash down.  When the flash is raised either because the camera is in Auto mode and wants the flash OR because it's in another mode but you pressed the button to raise the flash, the camera retracts the catch-hook and the flash should spring up to it's raised position.

The camera has a tiny micro-switch (sort of like the button on a refridgerator door that activeates the light) that knows if the flash was raised.

Do this:

While pressing the button to raise the flash (you'll hear the solinoid retracting the catch-hook) GENTLY attempt to raise the flash with your fingers.  Normally just a little help is all it needs.  

The flash should normally spring up all on it's own and the hinge should not be stiff.  If the hinge is stiff, then something is wedged in the hinge.  You might be able to work it out.  You might have to put a drop of denatured alcohol on the hinge (do NOT use oil -- that would just attract dust and make the problem worse).  Denatured alchohol can normally dissolve whatever is gumming up the hinge and the alcohol will evaporate.  A drop is all you need (don't overdo it.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I am aware of the mechanism regarding flash pop up. The hinging mechnaism on my camera is perfect. There is no debris or anything obstructing it. Your suggestion to pry open the flash with fingers is something I tried but I can barely get a fingenail in the space to do it. I think the solenoid or other device that moves the latch release may be weak and doesn't fully retract it. The nudge by pressing on the back of the flash (left side also works) adds a little extra leveraging force to overcome the incomplete retraction.  I can do without even looking.at the camera. Without the pressing manauever, the flash pops open half the time and the 05 error appears.

Larry 

Larry, I think the bad news is that you probably want to send it in to Canon for repair.  I was lucky in that this problem showed up about a week before my warranty expired, so it only cost me shipping to get it fixed.  I think it's a design and/or manufacturing flaw with this camera.  I wish they did not rely on a motor to raise the flash, but since this is now an old, outdated model of the camera, I doubt they'll be doing much to change the design.

If you don't want to run up the expense of repairing it, then you'll probably just have to live with it.  At least it comes up 50% of the time.  

Announcements