cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What size CF card do I use for firmware update on Canon 50d?

sigkid
Apprentice

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The firmware file is only about 10MB.  You wont need a very large card to perform the upgrade.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

cicopo
Elite

Normally the download is a zip file & the instructions will tell you to verify what size file it unzips to. It gives a specific size so you know it went well before trying to apply the update to the camera. All you need is a card slightly larger than that unzipped file. I believe (check the instructions) that the card shouldn't have any other files on it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

amfoto1
Authority

Just follow the instructions on the Canon website carefully. The file is small, so any card 1GB or larger will be plenty to do the job.

The CF card needs to be freshly formatted in the camera, so be sure all photos have been copied or removed.

You can download the firmware to your computer and unzip it there. Then connect your camera and do the update from the computer, instead of loading the .fir file onto the memory card. However, you still need to have a freshly formatted card in the camera.

Yes, as mentioned above, you do have to do a "checksum", to make sure the .fir file is exactly the size specified on the website. An incompletely downloaded .fir file might "brick" your camera. All the info is on the Canon website in the instructions.

Also be sure your camera's battery is fully charged. You don't want the camera to shut down part way through the firmware update. That also can "brick" your camera. (A "bricked" camera would need to be sent in to Canon for repair.)

It's actually quite easy to do a firmware update. I've made it sound a bit dire above. You can get into trouble with it. But so long as you read and follow the instructions carefully, it's not really difficult or all that big a deal. After you have done it once, it will be simple the next time.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Announcements