cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a good older Canon dslr?

Dragoncamera7
Enthusiast

I'm interested in birding, landscape photography and nature shots animals. What is a good older Canon dslr to get? I have used a T1i and 450D and like both. How does the 40D and 20D compare to the 450D? And is it possible to find cheap 1D mark II or 5D mark I? Can these older high models stack up against the newer mid series models?

Thanks,

Ben

119 REPLIES 119

That's a good choice. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Curious to know that if you have bought the camera yet.

I think it's time to pick up with whatever gears you have and go out do some shootings.

For a 40D, I won;t spend too much on accessories. If the battery that come with the used camera is good, it can shoot hundreds of pictures. Any CF cards 4 to 8 GB (around $10) will do enough for one day's shooting. Just don't buy any no name CF cards.

BTW, 40D file size is relatively small and you don't need very high speed cards.

Save some cash to buy a prime lens. (may be 50 1.8STM or 24 2.8STM)

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

Would this work for the 40D? It's the Sandisk 16 gb extreme compactflash card.

[link removed per forum guidelines]

Ben

You don't need to pay for the extra speed of an Extreme card.

The Ultra cards are fast enough for the 40D.

I haven't bought it yet, have my eye on Adorama's used 40D. I plan on ordering it up after the weekend. To be honest, I can't wait!

Ben

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

I haven't bought it yet, have my eye on Adorama's used 40D. I plan on ordering it up after the weekend. To be honest, I can't wait!

Ben

In my opinion KEH is a better source for used gear than Adorama.

As a number of people mentioned KEH is conservative in their grading, EX at KEH will be like E+ at Adorama.

edit: I wouldn't go lower than an 'E' rating when buying from Adorama. For KEH you'll be happy with anything, but, their 'Bargin' gear.

Hey guys, still haven't pulled the trigger yet. Today I had the opportunity to shoot with my friend's Nikon D300 with a very good lens 18-55mm, no chromatic abrasion or ghosting, but I can't remember exactly what lens it was. Anyway, it took awesome photos and I was very impressed. If I get the 40D, and eventually a good lens, will I be able to compete?

Ben

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

Hey guys, still haven't pulled the trigger yet. Today I had the opportunity to shoot with my friend's Nikon D300 with a very good lens 18-55mm, no chromatic abrasion or ghosting, but I can't remember exactly what lens it was. Anyway, it took awesome photos and I was very impressed. If I get the 40D, and eventually a good lens, will I be able to compete?

Ben

Possibly not. The D300 was a very highly regarded camera in its day. After it was finally discontinued, there was a lot of grousing in Nikonia because the perception was that Nikon wasn't making a decent, affordable replacement. The last Nikon I owned was an F-2 film camera, so don't be under any illusions that I'm an expert. But my impression is that the first APS-C Canon that outperformed the D300 was the 7D. And the 40D was not in the same class as the 7D.

That said, it all depends, of course, on what you mean by "compete". Good equipment is only one of the factors that contribute to good photography.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

That's what I figured. I did some research on the 7D and I think that could be a very good upgrade in the future. With my budget, its going to be the 40D. But with all my research and advice from you guys I really think I will do fine with the 40D.

Ben

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

That's what I figured. I did some research on the 7D and I think that could be a very good upgrade in the future. With my budget, its going to be the 40D. But with all my research and advice from you guys I really think I will do fine with the 40D.

Ben

I don't think so.  Spending money now on a 40D is really a major setback to when you can buy a 7D.  

You will spend less money over the long run by purchasing what you really want, instead of something to get by, or tide you over, especially if you already have working gear on hand.  If you plan to one day supersede the 40D with a better camera, then why buy it?  Why buy something that you plan to replace, especially when it doesn't represent a notable improvement over your current gear.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Well, I used the 450D for a few months but the it was a loan. Of course I got hooked on photography, now I am wanting to get something that is better than the 450D. Basically with my budget the 40D seems to be the best option, as we have talked about in this thread. Another question: how does an 8+ on B&H compare to the E rating for Adorama?

Ben

(To clarify about my interests in the 7D, I wouldn't be able to upgrade for a few years so I won't be just turning around and selling the 40D.)

Announcements