cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a good older Canon dslr?

Dragoncamera7
Enthusiast

I'm interested in birding, landscape photography and nature shots animals. What is a good older Canon dslr to get? I have used a T1i and 450D and like both. How does the 40D and 20D compare to the 450D? And is it possible to find cheap 1D mark II or 5D mark I? Can these older high models stack up against the newer mid series models?

Thanks,

Ben

119 REPLIES 119

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I concur. KEH is excellent in my experience. They are conservative in their ratings.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Okay thanks, I will look into KEH gear!

Ben

"They are conservative in their ratings."

Not so much in their prices.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I agree. But if you get a price you are happy with you can be sure of getting a product that meets or exceeds expectations - that has been my experience.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I agree. But if you get a price you are happy with you can be sure of getting a product that meets or exceeds expectations - that has been my experience.

Mine too.

Their prices are reasonable when you consider things are pretty much one rating better than they list. i.e. buy something rated EX+ and it will be 'Like New'.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Mine, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Right now I am eyeing a 40D body from Adorama, in the meantime will these batteries work with the 40D body? I am assuming Adorama is at least as good a store as KEH. Anyway, just wondering if these batteries will work, not sure where I will get them but they are cheaper than the Canon batteries.

Mod Note: Removed link due to Forum Guidelines - Third Party Product 

The EOS 40D uses the Battery Pack BP-511A/BP-514/BP-511 or BP-512.

Ben

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

Right now I am eyeing a 40D body from Adorama, in the meantime will these batteries work with the 40D body? I am assuming Adorama is at least as good a store as KEH. Anyway, just wondering if these batteries will work, not sure where I will get them but they are cheaper than the Canon batteries.

Mod Note: Removed link due to Forum Guidelines - Third Party Product 

The EOS 40D uses the Battery Pack BP-511A/BP-514/BP-511 or BP-512.

Ben

The prevailing opinion in this forum is that Adorama is a highly reputable store.

The term "Miscellaneous Brand" inspires no confidence.

An $8 used battery inspires no confidence either, but I suppose you can't go wrong at the price. Buy several and hope that some of them work for a while.

Buying everything on the cheap can be a fun activity if you do it for enjoyment or to show that you can beat the system. If you do it to accumulate reliable tools for business or a serious hobby, it's a potential source of great frustration. Just sayin'.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
KEH has a EX condition 40D with batteries and charger for $220. I'd grab it.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
Don't buy used batteries. You can get new Wasabi batteries on Amazon for that price.
Announcements