cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a good older Canon dslr?

Dragoncamera7
Enthusiast

I'm interested in birding, landscape photography and nature shots animals. What is a good older Canon dslr to get? I have used a T1i and 450D and like both. How does the 40D and 20D compare to the 450D? And is it possible to find cheap 1D mark II or 5D mark I? Can these older high models stack up against the newer mid series models?

Thanks,

Ben

119 REPLIES 119

The 1 series is NOT the way to go when you are talking older 1 seines that have been surpassed by newer lower end cameras. The biggest reason to buy and old outdated one then is the 'prestige' of owning a 1 series cameras.

I'm not on as tight a budget as you, but, I could never justify buying a 1 seiries camera. I've purchased new a 50D, 7D, 6D, and 7D Mk II. So it isn' t that I couldn't afford to buy one. It just never made sense to buy one.

The only camera above I regret buying is the 6D, why because I bought out of the same type of hype people pushing the 1 series, oh you have to have a full frame camera. They are so much better than APS-C cameras. It's hype, it's BS, whether it's you have to have a 1 series camera or a full frame camera.

The only possible reason someone could come up with why someone taking landscapes would want a 1 series camera is weather sealing. And even that doesn't apply when comparing cameras like the 7D Mk II or for someone who carries an inexpensive raincover. 

Negatives for a 1 series for a landscape photographer, it's heavier since it has built in battery grip. With the 40D you can choose to use a battery grip if you want or not. The 1 series batteries cost 4 times as much as batteries for the 40D. The one series camera won't work with your EF-S 18-55 lens, the 40D will. The EOS 1D Mk II is a low megapixel camera designed for high frame rate sports photography, something you just don't need for landscape photography.

As Robert the Fat said you buying a 1 seines is a 'crazy idea'. And the people who are pushing it on someone on a budget like you to get one are not helping you at all. It appears to me they are simply on an ego trip enjoying manipulating you.

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

Well here are my two lenses. One is EF-S the other is from a film Eos, so I'm not exactly sure what it is because it doesn't have the Canon word with the white square. From what you guys have said the 1 series is the way to go. But I'm fairly certain but if my silver lens is EF-S as well, it won't fit a 1 series.

I still need clarification on the 1 series model differences, even if I can't swing getting one with my current budget. However, I'm still monitoring ebay for 40D and 1Ds and 1D mk2. Everyone's advice has been extremely helpful, eventually I'll get to the point where I decide.

20170513_091500.jpg

Ben

If gave the impression that I was suggesting a 1D series, then I apologize for that misunderstanding.  I have grave reservations about buying anything more costly than a paperback novel from either eBay or Amazon.  While there are many reputable vendors on both sites, there are also a number who are not. 

It will be a serious roll of the dice buying a used camera on eBay, which I consider to be far worse than Amazon.  I would advise saving up a little more money, and keeping your eye on what the Canon Refurbished Store has in stock, and what they have on sale. 

You might want to check out the lens section, too.  Any EF-S lens that has a model number that ends with "STM" is going to be a pretty good lens.  It may not be the most robust lens ever built, but you will get excellent photos from one.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm pretty much decided on getting a 40D at this point. Possibly in the future I could get a 1 series. I appreciate all the opinions, and they have given me a good perspective. Next quesiton: for 40D batteries, are aftermarket (non-Canon) batteries okay to get?

Ben

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

I'm pretty much decided on getting a 40D at this point. Possibly in the future I could get a 1 series. I appreciate all the opinions, and they have given me a good perspective. Next quesiton: for 40D batteries, are aftermarket (non-Canon) batteries okay to get?

Ben

Judging from what some users have complained about in the forums, it would seem that Canon batteries tend to hold up longer, giving you significantly more shots between charging cycles. 

I'm not sure if the 40D has it, but recent Canon DSLRs are able to communicate with the battery, just enough to read a serial number and get a percentage reading of the how much charge is remaining in the battery.  

Some users have complained about how their cameras do not stay charged up, or won't even start up, with third party batteries.  When they can power up their cameras, the camera can tell if the battery is a genuine Canon battery, too.

As far as buying Canon batteries go, buyer beware.  Canon has released a number of warnings about counterfeit Canon batteries being sold as genuine Canon batteries.  Third party batteries may not charge properly in a Canon charger.  My advice is to buy batteries from a reputable source, like directly from Canon, B&H, or Adorama.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

Ben

The BP 511 battery that the 40D uses was a standard Canon camera battery used in both cameras and camcorders for years. There are a number of good 3rd party BP511 batteries out there. Canon replaced the BP511 with the LP6N beginning with the 7D and 5D Mk II. These newer batteries have internal electronics that can cause compatability problems so finding a good 3rd party maker for those is more critical than it was for the BP511. I had a number of 3rd party BP511 batteries and I can't say that one brand stood out from the others. With the LP6N I'll only buy Genuine Canon batteries or Wasabi brand batteries. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

Ben

The BP 511 battery that the 40D uses was a standard Canon camera battery used in both cameras and camcorders for years. There are a number of good 3rd party BP511 batteries out there. Canon replaced the BP511 with the LP6N beginning with the 7D and 5D Mk II. These newer batteries have internal electronics that can cause compatability problems so finding a good 3rd party maker for those is more critical than it was for the BP511. I had a number of 3rd party BP511 batteries and I can't say that one brand stood out from the others. With the LP6N I'll only buy Genuine Canon batteries or Wasabi brand batteries. 

Canon batteries cost more but are probably more reliable. (The only digital camera battery I can remember having to throw away was a 3rd-party replacement for the BP511 or its smaller sibling.) When I took pictures as part of my job, it was mostly event photography. At events, anything that makes you stop and fix something is bad. I'll accept a 3rd-party battery as part of a freebie bundle of extras, but I won't buy one.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

" Possibly in the future I could get a 1 series."

Again I must clear up the muddy information presented.  If you do intend to pursue a 1 series now or in the future, don't go back farther than a 1D Mk III.  You will not like it if you do. At this point the older ones are play things.  They are still quite capable of great photography but they are not as easy to use.

As for batteries, it seems the brand name 3rd party batteries are OK.  I don't use them but I have friends that do.  They seem to be getting along quite well.  Of course this is mostly in the 1 series line.

Another thing don't let anybody tell you have to have certain gear for landscapes or you can't do landscapes with that gear.  That only shows their lack of knowledge, experience or talent.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Another thing don't let anybody tell you have to have certain gear for landscapes or you can't do landscapes with that gear.  That only shows their lack of knowledge, experience or talent.

I agree almost any camera can be used for landscape photography.

That's why paying premium dollars for an outdated 1 series camera for it is such is a waste of money. 

Thanx again there Tommy Boy for clearing that up.  I knew you really knew better.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It's helpful to periodically review the original posting. 

"I'm interested in birding, landscape photography and nature shots animals. What is a good older Canon dslr to get?"

Landscape photography is only one of three indicated needs. 

Different folks have have different visions of birding and wildlife photography. A Rebel or xxD body with nine focus points and 3 or 4 frames per second is going to struggle for birds in flight or action photography. Setting up on a tripod and waiting for birds to arrive at a feeder or hummingbird feeder demands much less of a camera. There's nothing wrong with that and I have gotten some great images that way. 

I've also been to Kenya, the Galapagos, Sanibel Island and the Everglades with friends. I was able to get more keepers with my 1D Mark IV than the others that didn't have one.  More focus points, faster AF speed, better AI Servo capability and more frames per second. None of which would matter if I was just shooting landscapes. 

But, with a limited budget, I'm not sure that the suggested choices will offer a noticeable upgrade. I would save my money and wait until I had enough for a true upgrade. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements