cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a good older Canon dslr?

Dragoncamera7
Enthusiast

I'm interested in birding, landscape photography and nature shots animals. What is a good older Canon dslr to get? I have used a T1i and 450D and like both. How does the 40D and 20D compare to the 450D? And is it possible to find cheap 1D mark II or 5D mark I? Can these older high models stack up against the newer mid series models?

Thanks,

Ben

119 REPLIES 119

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I am hoping to get something for around 200. I like what I have heard about the 40D so that is at the top of my list. Thanks for steering me away from the old 1 series. I will keep looking around, but I can't wait till I get one!

Ben

"Thanks for steering me away from the old 1 series."

Not so fast there Dragoncamera7.  Steer back on the road!

The older 1 series cameras can be the best value.  The batteries are around $25 bucks brand new.  So, that is a bogus tip.  They are tough as nails. Mostly weather proff. They still focus with the best of them. They have high speed shooting at 10 frames per second. On and on.....

The best buy in a 1 series is the 1D Mk III, however, IMHO. Cost vs performance.  The Mk II series is OK but they don't do computers very well.  I don't think you will get a 1d3 for $200, though. Before I bought any consumer so-called prosumer camera I would check out a 1d3.  Maybe save your coins a but longer.  Once you go 1 series you'll never go back.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Thanks for steering me away from the old 1 series."

Not so fast there Dragoncamera7.  Steer back on the road!

The older 1 series cameras can be the best value.  The batteries are around $25 bucks brand new.  So, that is a bogus tip.  They are tough as nails. Mostly weather proff. They still focus with the best of them. They have high speed shooting at 10 frames per second. On and on.....

The best buy in a 1 series is the 1D Mk III, however, IMHO. Cost vs performance.  The Mk II series is OK but they don't do computers very well.  I don't think you will get a 1d3 for $200, though. Before I bought any consumer so-called prosumer camera I would check out a 1d3.  Maybe save your coins a but longer.  Once you go 1 series you'll never go back.

I just checked pricing on Genuine Canon 1 series batteries and they are $169 on Amazon. 

Third party batteries that run about $5-7.50 for non-1 series cameras are the $25 you quote. When your budget is $200, even a $25 batteries eat up too big a big chunk of that.

"I just checked pricing on Genuine Canon 1 series batteries and they are $169 on Amazon. "

So glad you are checking Tom.  We are thankful to have such a reliable resource available to us.  Some forums are not so fortunate.  Thanks again.

EB

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I am hoping to get something for around 200. I like what I have heard about the 40D so that is at the top of my list. Thanks for steering me away from the old 1 series. I will keep looking around, but I can't wait till I get one!

Ben

The big problem with old 1D's is that they outlive their obsolescence. I.e., unless you're very hard on your 1D, it will still be going strong when its features have become archaic by the standards of the day. As Ernie Biggs once said in this forum, you can bash somebody's head in with a 1D and still use it to take the crime scene pictures.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I think I saw that on a Colombo once. 8^)

Actually, it is closer to the woman killing her husband with the frozen Leg of Lamb and feeding it to the detectives on Alfred Hitchcock presents.

ScottyP
Authority

Are all of your lenses EF or do you have some that are EF-s?  I ask because you are looking at going full frame with some of these camera bodies, and if you need to replace any crop lenses with EF lenses you will need hundreds more dollars for that. 

Also, as was said before, the oldest of these old bodies are just obsolete.  Just because they once upon a time cost a lot does not mean they are still an upgrade over a much newer less expensive body, due to the advances that have been made in sensors and autofocus. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Are you getting any sort of warranty on the eBay bodies? Check and see if Canon will still service a 40D if you have any problem.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I don't know but I highly doubt it.  Midwest Camera Repair will.

EB

Well here are my two lenses. One is EF-S the other is from a film Eos, so I'm not exactly sure what it is because it doesn't have the Canon word with the white square. From what you guys have said the 1 series is the way to go. But I'm fairly certain but if my silver lens is EF-S as well, it won't fit a 1 series.

I still need clarification on the 1 series model differences, even if I can't swing getting one with my current budget. However, I'm still monitoring ebay for 40D and 1Ds and 1D mk2. Everyone's advice has been extremely helpful, eventually I'll get to the point where I decide.

20170513_091500.jpg

Ben

Announcements