cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a good older Canon dslr?

Dragoncamera7
Enthusiast

I'm interested in birding, landscape photography and nature shots animals. What is a good older Canon dslr to get? I have used a T1i and 450D and like both. How does the 40D and 20D compare to the 450D? And is it possible to find cheap 1D mark II or 5D mark I? Can these older high models stack up against the newer mid series models?

Thanks,

Ben

119 REPLIES 119

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Look into a 1D Mark IV.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Look into a 1D Mark IV.

There are only two "older" 1D bodies I would consider buying now: the 1D Mark IV and the 1Ds III.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Now of course I am thinking again about the potential line up. The newest I would go with is the 450D. I feel like the 40D is the middle ground. But now I am interested in the 1 series still. The original 1D only has 4 megapixels which I don't think is enough. But the 1D mark 2 and the 1Ds definately have enough megapixels. So basically how do these 1 series compare against the 40D/450D?

Ben

"But now I am interested in the 1 series still."

I love 1 series cameras. I have all of them except the newest 1Dx.  I don't see the money vs performance in it over my 1D Mk IV.

The 'best buy' is still the 1D Mk III.  Although the bogus battery cost that was mentioned above is ridiculous it offers all the features of the newer cameras.  It is a lithium battery for instance.  It works with current computers. Has all the stuff I listed before and the price is falling like a rock from what they originally sold for.  Even if you have to save for a bit longer I would still recommend it to you. 

However, if you decide to go back to the 1D Mk II or even back further, you will run into some issues that make it less appealing.  For instance it is not computer friendly.  They are firewire. Not USB.  You can not change some settings in the menus. They use less desirable ni-cad batteries.  Other then these few things, they are still great cameras and their price is even more attractive. I still use my 1D Mk II n and it is the one I recommend you try to find if it is a Mk II you want.

For nice examples a 1d3 will go in the $500-$600 range.  The 1ds3 in the $900-$1000 range. If you are willing to accept a more 'seasoned' veteran camera. maybe a hundred less for either model.  Just think these bodies originally sold for $6000 to $8000 bucks.  You can own one for dimes on the dollar!

Point to remember 1 series bodies will not accept ef-s lenses.  They require ef only.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"The original 1D only has 4 megapixels ..."

The spec of a "4MP sensor" is misleading.  The 1D and 1Ds make beautiful photos.  The 1D does an amazing job on portraits. It has a 4.48 megapixel CCD sensor. Not the current cmos type.  It is 18 years old now and not user friendly in several ways.  I would avoid it as a 'the only camera I have' situation.  For me it is a fun toy to get out and play around with but time has passed it by. But they work and work well.

EB

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

Now of course I am thinking again about the potential line up. The newest I would go with is the 450D. I feel like the 40D is the middle ground. But now I am interested in the 1 series still. The original 1D only has 4 megapixels which I don't think is enough. But the 1D mark 2 and the 1Ds definately have enough megapixels. So basically how do these 1 series compare against the 40D/450D?

Ben

Ben, don't get caught up in the hype.

The guy who said 'once you go 1D you'll never go back'. Also, says he bought both a 5D Mk III and a 5D Mk IV after owning a 1D.

So which is it the 1D is the end all camera and once you own one you'd never buy any other, or it's just another camera that eventually gets out spec'd by newer lower end cameras?

The truth is it is just another camera that eventually gets out spec'd by newer lower end cameras.

Also the 40D/50D/7D/7D Mk II are also so durable you could beat someone to death with them and still take the crime scene photos.

Wrong again there honcho.  I almost had to check for myself because I know you are correct 99.4% of the time. But I never owned a 5D Mk IV.  I did have a 5D, 5D Mk II and the Mk III. It didn't take me too long to figue out they weren't a 1 series camera. Even I cna figue that out. So, they all got sold.  You may wnat to add this factiod to your file on me, I have had a dozen or more cameras at a time before. I still have six.  All 1 series. Of course this excludes the film bodies I still have. Would you like a list of them too?

Additional factoid for you, I had all the Rebels up to the T2i. All gone now.

EB

On ‎02-10-2017 at 03:57 PM, @ebiggs1 wrote:

As to what camera to get, the 5D Mk IV is the choice.  Why would you even consider buying a discontinued Mk III ?  That is the reason they have been discounted so much.  Canon wants to get rid of them.  If you are committed and you can drop the dime on a new camera go for the best you can.  The 5D Mk IV is it in a Canon brand.

There you go again, mon ami.  You are going to shake my very high appreciation for your constructive comments if you continue to get things wrong.

I said, "I never owned a 5D Mk IV."  I did not say I never used one.

EB
Announcements