cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the battery life of the Canon 7D Mk 2- with GPS disabled?

paulbartho
Contributor

I had a Canon 7D and its battery life was superb. The new Canon 7D Mk 2 I barely get 2 hours of intermittant shooting (GPS disabled).

Is this what I should expect or is there a fault with the camera?

15 REPLIES 15

Ray-uk
Whiz

Sounds wrong, is this with live view on or off, IS on or off ?

Live View is off but IS on - the same as I had with the original 7D.

In your manual Canon gives you an estimated number of shots to be expected.  This could happen in two hours.  It could be longer.  So, how many shots are taken in the 2 hours?

Lliveview uses a great deal of battery power but IS while does use some extra power, is not the cause.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

With my old camera I have taken perhaps 3 or 4 times as many shots maybe more. The battery would last for 4 or more outings and I rarely needed to carry a spare. Now in 2 hours the battery is almost shot. 

One of my spares is from the last camera and it too lasts no way near what it used to.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@paulbartho wrote:

I had a Canon 7D and its battery life was superb. The new Canon 7D Mk 2 I barely get 2 hours of intermittant shooting (GPS disabled).

Is this what I should expect or is there a fault with the camera?

What are your GPS settings? While I have a battery grip I can go all day with GPS on and IS ON (Mode 3) and still have 50% plus battery life.

GPS Map.JPG

That photo represents 7+ miles of hiking with a long luch break in the middle GPS and camera set to on the whole time.

gps.JPG

255 photos, over 2 hours, as I recall batteries were still over 75%

GPS is disabled.

@paulbartho wrote:

GPS is disabled.

With GPS disabled I get 500+ photos, over several hours.

GPS on or off I have never had my batteries go below 50%, 70% is typical.

When starting with two fresh batteries in my grip, I have never had to change them out during a days shooting.

I shot about 7000 photos with my 7D Mk II so far this year.

FWIW, I have two sets of batteries, one set of genuine Canon, and one set of Wasabi batteries. I alternate the two sets and recharge the previously used set before going out for the day. 

I have seen others complaining about the battery life of the 7D Mk2 so I am not the only one. I just wonder if this is a camera issue with some cameras. Definitely I use the camera the same way as my old one and the battery life is pathetic by comparison. No Live View, no GPS, IS on. And I have the problem with my old batteries which worked brilliantly before. Must be a problem with the camera or other settings with which I am not familiar.

Announcements