cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird polarized view on older Canon DSLR EOS 5D (DIY sharing)

ezpop
Rising Star

The phenomenon came all of a sudden when I switched on my long forgotten EOD 5D. It came exactly same as the description I found in an online forum.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=821143&page=1

After some hesitation, I opened up the back plate of the camera to give it a try. As I have no idea how to open it and where to find the screws, I searched and found the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEUQnqQtXgw

It's about 40D but it provided the information required. Both cameras are similar in design.

I removed the two flat cables. Inserted a pieces of foam under the loop of the cable connected to the LCD Panel. Removed the cable attached to the LCD back panel. Inserted it back and add a small piece of tape to reinforce and hold it in place more securely.

I put everything back and the LCD display is now back to normal.

20160109_215141 a.jpg20160109_222351 a.jpg20160109_215607 a.jpg20160109_220054 a.jpg20160109_220441 a.jpg20160109_220448 a.jpg20160109_221517 a.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

How can there be no replies to this thread??? Robot surprised

You fixed a DSLR with a piece of foam and some duct tape! Robot LOL Red Green would be mighty proud of you.

DIY is not quite welcome here in this forum I guess

You will notice that the standard answer to deal with camera problem is to send to Canon Service for repair. haha

@lly3988 wrote:

DIY is not quite welcome here in this forum I guess

You will notice that the standard answer to deal with camera problem is to send to Canon Service for repair. haha

Most of us are photographers, not electronics technicians. When we've paid a lot of money for a camera or lens, we have an aversion to the risk of doing something stupid that might screw it up.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

One doesn't have to be an electronic technician to do DIY repair. All photographers need an useable camera. If Canon won't fix it, there are always other ways. DIY is one of them.

Repairing something which Canon will not do is not something "STUPID". Canon will not repair 5D for sure.

DIY repair is not for the faint-hearted. There is always freedom of choice.

A very old and dated Canon 5D is still a very good camera in the right hand. What's wrong with fixing it and sharing other people the joy of bring it back to life.

I don't see anything in the OP convincing people to open up their expensive camera and lens to mess with them. So I guess it's okay to continue doing stupid diy repair as far as you don't convince people to do anything to affect the business of Canon Service.

@lly3988 wrote:

One doesn't have to be an electronic technician to do DIY repair. All photographers need an useable camera. If Canon won't fix it, there are always other ways. DIY is one of them.

Repairing something which Canon will not do is not something "STUPID". Canon will not repair 5D for sure.

DIY repair is not for the faint-hearted. There is always freedom of choice.

A very old and dated Canon 5D is still a very good camera in the right hand. What's wrong with fixing it and sharing other people the joy of bring it back to life.

I don't see anything in the OP convincing people to open up their expensive camera and lens to mess with them. So I guess it's okay to continue doing stupid diy repair as far as you don't convince people to do anything to affect the business of Canon Service.

What brought that on? It was you who ridiculed those who don't do their own repairs, not the other way around.

And the implication that I'm a Canon toady is absurd, as you must know if you've been reading this forum for as long as your profile says you have.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"All photographers need an useable camera."

Not exactly, mon ami.  Photographers need a 'reliable' camera that can be counted on.  I don't see duct tape accomplishing that.  I can just see it now, explaining to the bride that I didn't get her wedding photos because my duct tape fell off.  I am sure she would be understanding!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Who will use an over ten years old camera in an important event such as wedding?  5D first came out in 2005 and I doublt any photographers will use it professionally nowadays.

Useable old cameras are excellent for casual shooting and allow some people to recall the good old days of those camera gears when they are of great value at that time. Even at this present time, they are still very good and useable to beginners or people who cannot afford updated expensive new gears. What is wrong DIY fixing them ?  For DIYers, any available materials that can fix the problem is the right material. There is nothing wrong with using duct tape.

It is hard to define "photographers" and I believe you guys must have seen some so-call photographers posting ugly photographs online. I have also seen a lot of wealthy people buying the latest models and yet they only shoot in auto mode. And they think they are "photographers" because they take "photos".

Professional photographers need more than "a" reliable camera. They need back ups because even the most reliable cameras will fail at times. For non-professional "photographers",  if they are not taking pictures during important events for money, I still believe that any useable and functional cameras are okay.

What are we going to do with old cameras ? Throw them into the garbage bins ?  No way. Take them out, do some  casual shootings and have fun. If they are broken and Canon won't fix them, open them up and see what's is inside. If you can fix them, fine. If not, you still have enjoyed the fun of DIY.  If you are afraid of doing unscrewing or touching the inside of the cameras, it's your choice.

BTW, go to Youtube and check out "Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera Challenge" and you will see some real photographers shooting with cameras manufactured at the turn of the century. These are fun.

Pick a sentence, a phrase or a word and do some "ellaborations" to disagree DIY. You have made it. But, what does it prove ?

"Who will use an over ten years old camera in an important event such as wedding?"

You have no idea of what it is like to make a living with a camera, do you?  I never had a camera failure at a event I was responsible for.  Never, not once.  But my cameras all got periodic C&C by CPS.

I have nothing against DIY. Photographers that make a living have to be able to find instant solutions to problems and fixes all the time.  But duct tape holding some gadget inside my camera is not one of them.

I'm done, DIY forever.  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@BurnUnit wrote:

How can there be no replies to this thread??? Robot surprised

You fixed a DSLR with a piece of foam and some duct tape! Robot LOL Red Green would be mighty proud of you.

There is a Kudo button, hence no replies are necessary to say good job, or thanks for the information. 

Announcements