cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI Connection does not work on my 80D to PC with Windows 7

ChiliBob
Apprentice

I cannot make the WF connection for some reason.  When I go to the EOS application on windows, it shows a blank dialog box asking for camera model and MAC ID, etc.  It looks like you should be able to type the MN in but it will not accept any input from kybd.  The camera is poised and ready with displayed SSID and key, but the PC side is ?@*$

9 REPLIES 9

StanNH
Rising Star

I don't think the WiFi function will work with any PC.  It's made for file transfers to smartphones or tablets.  For transfers to a PC, the camera should have its WiFi disabled and connected via a USB cable.  Alternately, you can simply download directly from the SD card via a card reader or a built-in card slot on the computer.

ChiliBob
Apprentice
Well, the software shows it, the camera has the link for it, YouTube has videos on how to do it. It is one of the reasons why I bought the camera. Just one part of the log-in does not seem to work. Guess I'll have to call Canon.

I have an 80D and the manual covers downloading via an interface cable with the EOS utility, or with a card reader.  The WiFi transfer requires the Canon Connect app, which is available for both IOS and Android devices.  If there is another way of using the WiFi transfer with a PC, I am not aware of it.

I already state that I have the EOS app running on PC so the last suggestion is no help whatsoever.

StanNH:

Read the Wifi manual, it says that EOS Utility can be used to connect wirelessly.

ChiliBob:

What version of EOS Utility do you have? Versions earlier than 2.14 require secondary "WFT Pairing Software".

No, it did not work.  This is my first time using this forum and all of the responses have been for simple things that I have done over and over and tried variations of.  I am well versed in Windows and stuff so I was hoping someone had a similar incident where going by the book as well as the You tube how-to did not work.  So I gave up here.  Went to Canon tech support directly and THEY are now perplexed as we were trying things for over an hour.  Frustrating is an apt word here.  The link to my droid phone connected with no sweat so I do not understand why the PC link is a no-go.  At some point it should get resolved, I hope.

ChiliBob wrote:

No, it did not work.  This is my first time using this forum and all of the responses have been for simple things that I have done over and over and tried variations of.  I am well versed in Windows and stuff so I was hoping someone had a similar incident where going by the book as well as the You tube how-to did not work.  So I gave up here.  Went to Canon tech support directly and THEY are now perplexed as we were trying things for over an hour.  Frustrating is an apt word here.  The link to my droid phone connected with no sweat so I do not understand why the PC link is a no-go.  At some point it should get resolved, I hope.

Which of your devices (camera and computer) is the access point and which is the client? Or if both are clients, what is the access point, and how is it configured? What encryption protocol is being used, and have you checked to make sure that all the involved devices are on the same page in that respect? Is it correct to assume that all the devices were manufactured for the U.S. market? (Not all countries handle WiFi the same.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I don't have a Windows PC.  But I had a similar problem on my Mac with my 5D IV's WiFi connection (worked with phone... not with computer).

What I ultimately learned is that there's a bit of confusion regarding the "EOS Utility" application on the computer.

When I installed EOS Utility (all the Canon apps actually) it created a "Canon Utilities" applicaitons folder and sub-folders with each utility.  There's a folder named "EOS Utility" and inside that folder there is an application named "EOS Utility" AND... TWO MORE folders... one named EU2 and another named EU3.  Opening the "EU2" folder shows an application named "EOS Utility 2" and EU3 has an application named "EOS Utility 3".

So... I launched "EOS Utility 3" (think it is the latest) and it doesn't work.

It turns out... you MUST launch the application named merely "EOS Utility" (not EOS Utility 2 nor EOS Utility 3) and this actually starts the "EOS Utility Launcher" which is where they hide the "connect an EOS camera" (via WiFi).  

I think it's very confusing that they have an "application" named "EOS Utility" which is _really_ the "EOS Utility Launcher" and is also the only way to do connect via WiFi -- and it will utlimately launch either EOS Utility 2 or EOS Utility 3.... but that was the only way to get it working.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

TCampbell wrote:

I don't have a Windows PC.  But I had a similar problem on my Mac with my 5D IV's WiFi connection (worked with phone... not with computer).

What I ultimately learned is that there's a bit of confusion regarding the "EOS Utility" application on the computer.

When I installed EOS Utility (all the Canon apps actually) it created a "Canon Utilities" applicaitons folder and sub-folders with each utility.  There's a folder named "EOS Utility" and inside that folder there is an application named "EOS Utility" AND... TWO MORE folders... one named EU2 and another named EU3.  Opening the "EU2" folder shows an application named "EOS Utility 2" and EU3 has an application named "EOS Utility 3".

So... I launched "EOS Utility 3" (think it is the latest) and it doesn't work.

It turns out... you MUST launch the application named merely "EOS Utility" (not EOS Utility 2 nor EOS Utility 3) and this actually starts the "EOS Utility Launcher" which is where they hide the "connect an EOS camera" (via WiFi).  

I think it's very confusing that they have an "application" named "EOS Utility" which is _really_ the "EOS Utility Launcher" and is also the only way to do connect via WiFi -- and it will utlimately launch either EOS Utility 2 or EOS Utility 3.... but that was the only way to get it working.

Apparently the reason that's done is to allow the top-level program (the launcher) to choose between EOSU 2 and EOSU 3, according to the model of the camera being accessed. (Some cameras that one might think would be fine with EOSU 3 - I think the 7D is one of them - are in fact not.) The installation program for EOSU 3 takes care of installing both versions, but it can get confused if installed over an existing installation of EOSU 2. I've never had it behave badly when I've done a clean installation from scratch. Later when you install updates, it makes sure that both versions are up to date (although I don't believe there have been any changes to EOSU 2 for a year or two).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements