cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Error I am sure 7D Mk1

Iggythetiggy
Enthusiast

First off Camera is a 7D Mk1 and im sure its user error as it seems to happen with all my lenses.  A few months back I sent in the camer body for cleaning as sugested by the group, as well as a lens i picked up a 28-135 IS USM for check and repair that fixed the lens issue and got the camera all tuned up and cleaned, they repaced the focus screen in the camera oddly due to dust entrapment in the viewfinder.  Camera is working great I think for what I usually use it for, shooting Landscape. I usually run it in manual mode and set my F Stop and Shutter manually and play with exposure a bit and get great results. 

A few weeks back I was invited to take pictures at a local function to help out and expand my eperience and have a bit of fun in the process..  To get a feel for things I decided to let the Camera do the thinking whie I earned to track moving objects and constantly moving myslef to get pictures in, so Current Settings are as follows

Camera is in P Mode
AF is in 19 Point 

ISO Auto
AEB Centered at 0

Picture Style is in Std 3,0,0,0 (Unmodified)

Auto White Balance, but was flipping to Florecent as well
One Shot AF
Evaluative Metering

Anyway a good majority of the time i had to manually move the focus point to where I wanted it, so I did play with the bracketing a bit. But a Good Majority was a hair out of focus.  My object I was wanting to attract attention to anyway, sometimes it was wanting to focus in the background or randomly grab something closer leaving the subject itself out of focus.

I am still learning this camera, is there a good book on this camera available or can someone coach me a bit on the different AF modes, like AI Servo, AI Focus, and One Shot and the Differing Metering.  I sure its totally me at the controls as if I run in full manual it takes dynamic photos. I was just a bit under the weather for the event so I figured the camera would be smarter than me correct? LOL

Secondy I would love to hear some tips on taking pictures of refective objects. I was invited to a small car meet Sunday and decided to play with the camera a bit again and again to me every photo is a tick out of focus. Below is my own vehicle, taken in the backwoods in full daylight, had the tulip on the ens and a decent UV Filter. Blow I feel I did better in the shade with the Evo, bit i know the camera can do better once I learn, how to shoot better.. Locomotive and anscape the same way. Is it me, my lenses or something amiss with the camera. Constructive Criticism Wecome. But be gentle..22792396_10210112024740903_2659765054890358801_o.jpg26239224_10210616446191124_5758172986413472960_n.jpg

23116841_10210118663026856_4077167356258903025_o.jpg

22792575_10210112015940683_4192570407596366151_o.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

I am happy to have helped out.  I use a B+W Nano Clear filter on all of my lenses.

I use custom shooting modes to quickly switch from One Shot using the center AF point, to AI Servo using all AF points.  I, also, find myself using ISO AUTO and manual shooting mode a lot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements