cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading

aq1234
Apprentice
Hi everyone! I've been using a t3i for the past four years and want to upgrade but not sure what to get. I love macro and I want to get into more bird/nature photography. I'm thinking of getting the telephoto lens 400mm 5.8. Any suggestions as to which camera I should get? Thank you!
5 REPLIES 5

ScottyP
Authority
The 400 f/5.6 is a sharp lens for a reasonable price according to everything I have read.

For birds, wildlife, plus macro, I think the budget route would be a 70d or even one of the new T6s bodies, though the latter won't have AFMA if that is an issue for you. Both have pretty good AF, being basicly the same 19 point system from the 7d(original Mk.1 version)The higher budget choice would be the 7d2.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I'm thinking of getting the telephoto lens 400mm 5.8."

This is a nice lens but I think the EF 300mm f4 L IS is a better choice. But either is very good. The big advantage to the 300mm is the IS.  It has it and the 400mm does not.  And extra cost option for the 300mm would be the 1.4 tele extender.  It would boost you to 480mm @ f5.6 plus the IS.

The 300mm is sharper than the 400mm so it has room to give with the converter.

"Any suggestions as to which camera I should get?"

Yes, the T6i or 7D Mk II.  I see little advantage in going to the xxD series.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I'm thinking of getting the telephoto lens 400mm 5.8."

This is a nice lens but I think the EF 300mm f4 L IS is a better choice. But either is very good. The big advantage to the 300mm is the IS.  It has it and the 400mm does not.  And extra cost option for the 300mm would be the 1.4 tele extender.  It would boost you to @480mm @ f5.6 plus the IS.

The 300mm is sharper than the 400mm so it has room to give with the converter.

I make it 420mm at f/5.6. Is something wrong with my math?

Still a good deal (relative to the 400mm), I would think.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston

You are correct, sir.  I got my crop and teles mixed up.

As a matter of fact it is going to appear as even a much longer focal lenght on a T31. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

RexGig
Enthusiast

For bird/nature photography, in the current APS-C line-up, the 7D Mark II is the obvious best choice, unless one has a strong desire for a folding/articulating LCD screen. I moved from XTi to 40D to 7D, but in today's line-up, would skip directly to the 7D Mark II.

I really do like my EF 400mm 5.6L, but can only speculate how helpful Image Stabilization might be. I am still dreaming of one of the really long Big Whites with IS!

Welcome to the forum! Smiley Happy

Announcements