cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading my Camera

chomp
Contributor

Hello All,

I have purchased a new Canon 70 - 200 2.8 lens and I am thinking about upgrading the my current camera (Canon T5I) to a Canon 6D.

Question:  Do I need to upgrade? My current camera has a 18-135 canon lens which of course I would need to replace

Thanks all

Chomp

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

The main reason for replacing a T5i with a 6D is low-light performance. The 6D is significantly better, allowing you to use higher ISO settings without introducing unacceptable noise. If you do most of your shooting in daylight, you may not find that to be very important.

There are some other differences as well, which you can determine by comparing the two cameras' published specs. But if you don't already know what most of them are, they probably don't need to affect yuor decision.

If you do upgrade to a 6D, you will indeed have to get a new lens. The usual choice is the EF 24-105mm f/4 IS USM. It won't have nearly the reach that the 18-135 has on your T5i; but your new 70-200 renders that moot.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

Thanks ebiggs,

You make some good points. I guess I will stay with the T5I for now. 

If I do move to the T7I, I think I will still need to contend with the 1.6 effect on the 70 - 200 lens. Of course with my really feeble memory, I could have the whole thing backwards

Thank again

Chomp

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

The main reason for replacing a T5i with a 6D is low-light performance. The 6D is significantly better, allowing you to use higher ISO settings without introducing unacceptable noise. If you do most of your shooting in daylight, you may not find that to be very important.

There are some other differences as well, which you can determine by comparing the two cameras' published specs. But if you don't already know what most of them are, they probably don't need to affect yuor decision.

If you do upgrade to a 6D, you will indeed have to get a new lens. The usual choice is the EF 24-105mm f/4 IS USM. It won't have nearly the reach that the 18-135 has on your T5i; but your new 70-200 renders that moot.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you very much for the information. Your information makes for an easy decision. 

I think I will wait for a bit to upgrade to the 6D... 

Chomp

"I think I will wait for a bit to upgrade to the 6D.."

IMHO, the main most reason to 'upgrade' to a 6D is for full frame vs crop.  Taking in consideration all the advantages of FF vs cropper.  It is also true that the crop sensor has some advantages over FF.

The low light performance has more to do with pixel size than if does with sensor size.  The general thought is a bigger sensor will have bigger pixels.  Therefore better low light gathering.

However, this may or may not be the case.  In the case of the T5i and the 6D the difference is substantial.  4.5 vs 6.5 if my feeble memory is correct.  But the real improvement may come with the most current electronics.  It is pretty safe to say a newer Rebel, T7i, will perform better than your T5i in low light, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks ebiggs,

You make some good points. I guess I will stay with the T5I for now. 

If I do move to the T7I, I think I will still need to contend with the 1.6 effect on the 70 - 200 lens. Of course with my really feeble memory, I could have the whole thing backwards

Thank again

Chomp

You are correct. The 70-200 will actually act like a 112-320mm.  This can be either an advantage or a disadvantage depending on how you intend to use it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements