Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: Upgrading from 60D or buy a good glass? Tight budget

"Practiced more with the gear you have.

Buying new gear won't magically make you get better shots of your kids"

Absolutely true. I am doing my best to learn something new and re-learn some other things everyday. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

You may find this helpful.      http://www.canonoutsideofauto.ca/

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Respected Contributor

AutumnApple wrote:

I tried 18-135 IS version and not very impressed, maybe the STM would do better?

Yes, the STM version is much better. It is better than the older 18-135 and the EF 24-105 f/4L. I owned the EF-S 18-135 IS STM and the EF 24-105 f/4L until I gave the EF 24-105 f/4L and my 6D to my daughter. Neither the 6D nor the EF 24-105 f/4L outperformed my 7D Mk II with the EF-S 18-135 IS STM, so I was never using them. I gave them to my daughter so they would get some use.

Respected Contributor

AutumnApple wrote:

@cicopo: I use Al focus if movement is involved. To be honest, I consider myself just past the beginner stage so there's still tons to learn. But, let's say in similar landscape/stationary photos using tripod and similar settings, my photos look sharp but not as clean.That made me wonder about post processing.

You should never use AIFocus.

You should use One Shot if the subject will NOT move (portrait, still life, landscape).

You should use AIServo if the subject MAY move. (kids, animals, flowers in a breeze)

Occasional Contributor

"You should never use AIFocus.

You should use One Shot if the subject will NOT move (portrait, still life, landscape).

You should use AIServo if the subject MAY move. (kids, animals, flowers in a breeze)"

I must have misunderstood that part the whole time after reading the manual. Thanks for pointing it out.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

AutumnApple wrote:

I must have misunderstood that part the whole time after reading the manual. Thanks for pointing it out.

No you didn't misunderstand it. The manual gives the impression you can just us AIFocus and the camera will 'figure it out'. The problem is with a moving subject it takes time for the camera to figure out the subject is moving, and if you take the photo before the camera figures out the subject is moving your shot will be out of focus. 

Respected Contributor

Hi,

The advice to grow your skills before spending too much on equipment has logic behind it.  On the other hand upgrading lenses make such a big difference compared to upgrading bodies in most cases it certainly can't hurt if you have the money and as long as you buy a good workhorse general purpose lens that will be useful no matter where your photography takes you. 

An 80d goes for $1,100.00.  I would be very much afraid that if you spend That much just to replace your 60d with an 80d instead of/without upgrading your lenses you may see no image quality improvement at all. 

I would go for lenses instead of a camera and i would skip the long telephoto/wild animals lens, or at least put it off til later. Good telephoto lenses are expensive, and, short of going on safari, shots of wild animals you are likely to encounter will not be of the kind of lasting value for your money that great quality images of your kids and family would be. 

You could stick with crop sensors and get yourself an EF -s 17-55 f/2.8 to upgrade your walk around lens with a brighter sharper model. Then you could decide whether you would also like a wide angle 10-22 for your landscape or if you can make it work just fine with the 17-55. 

Alternately you could invest in a 24-70 f/2.8 II.  It leaves a crop body slightly lacking for wide angle use, but it is a beautiful fantastic lens on any camera and it would be ready to put into service on a full frame camera later on if you go full frame. 

Scott

Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Honored Contributor

AutumnApple wrote:
@ebiggs1: thank you very much for your advice.

He suggested the 6D and the EF 24-104mm f/4L II IS USM.  I would swap the camera body and lens for the 6D Mark II and the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, which is roughly the same cost.  The 6D2 will focus better than the original.  But, I think that total cost far exceeds your budget.

But, check out the Canon Refurbished store for great deals on Canon gear.  You will not find either the 6D Mark II, or the EF 24-105mm f/4L II USM, though.  The latest and greatest won’t be there for at least a year, most likely.  The 80D is frequently on sale for signicantly less than list price.

What is your budget, anyway?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP

"He suggested the 6D and the EF 24-104mm f/4L II IS USM.  I would swap the camera body and lens for the 6D Mark II and the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, which is roughly the same cost."

I can go for that!  Smiley Happy  This is costly there is no doubt but it will put you squarely into more professional gear. You have the satification knowing got the best gear you can.

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Occasional Contributor

Thank you guys for so much help. I really appreciate all your kind advices.

After reading and reconsidering my situation again and again, I decided to keep my 60d for the moment, though the temptation of buying more advanced camera is hard to suppress, evedently I haven't been able to unlock all 60d potentials yet

I will buy Canon 24-105mm IS L to use for general purpose. While I may/ maynot benefit from it base on my current skills, but Im working hard to improve everyday and hopefully in near future, when ready, i would be able to jump for full-frame.