cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading, any recommendations?

photocat93
Contributor

So, I've been using my little entry-level 450d now for the last 9 years. I prefered to just invest in lenses rather than new bodies and thus far it has served me well.

However, I'm really starting to notice it struggle recently; had some auto focus issues and the quality is really starting to show. I'm also using it for some part-time photography jobs at the moment which has really made the decision to upgrade important.

Any recommendations?

5d mark IV would be a dream but it's a little out of my price range. I've looked at two full frames: the 6d and the 5d mark iii and even looked over the 80d but I can't make a decision.

Before you ask, yes I shoot in manual and yes I have invested in EF lenses.

Thanks! 🙂 

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 6D is a wonderful camera body.  It is really great in low light situations.  The full frame sensor captures images that seem to have lower noise than APS-C sensor bodies.  I have found it great for stills, but not as good as other camera bodies with more AF points for tracking subjects in AI Servo mode.

The 5D Mark III is workhorse that is popular among super enthusiasts and professionals alike.  It combines low light performance, advanced AF performance, and a full frame sensor into one water and dust resistant camera body.

The 80D is probably the current best buy in the current Canon DSLR lineup.  It uses an APS-C sensor, but it has an advanced "Dual Pixel" image sensor that produces low noise images that rival a full frame camera like the 6D.  This camera has an AF system that has many features found in Canon's flagship 1D Series.  The camera body build is comparable to the 6D, and is not as well sealed as the 5D Mark III.

Another choice you failed to mention, is the 7D Mark II, which is a favorite among bird photographers.  It is built like a tank, and incorporates one of the most sophisticated AF systems found in any Canon DSLR.  Canon has published a 50+ page instruction manual on just how to use the AF systems.

So, which camera to buy?  That depends upon your budget, and what you want to photograph.  The 80D is the best buy.  The 5DIII is the best all-around performer.  The 7DII is the best APS-C sensor body.  The 6D is a great entry level, full frame camera body that can capture some really impressive images, especially stills.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Wow, this is a great overview. Thanks Waddizzle!
Can’t believe I missed the 7d mark ii!

I guess for me I’m tempted by either the 6d or the 7d Mark II, both of which are more in my ideal price range.

6d for the image quality of the full frame sensor as most of my paid work involves portraits and events. I’ve done some product photos just for a small, local business. Nothing high speed whatsoever.

But on the flip side, I love doing wildlife photography in my spare time where a crop and the focussing would definitely benefit me.

Two completely different types of photography but then I guess it’s not the wildlife that pays the bills!

@photocat93 wrote:

So, I've been using my little entry-level 450d now for the last 9 years. I prefered to just invest in lenses rather than new bodies and thus far it has served me well.

However, I'm really starting to notice it struggle recently; had some auto focus issues and the quality is really starting to show. I'm also using it for some part-time photography jobs at the moment which has really made the decision to upgrade important.

Any recommendations?

5d mark IV would be a dream but it's a little out of my price range. I've looked at two full frames: the 6d and the 5d mark iii and even looked over the 80d but I can't make a decision.

Before you ask, yes I shoot in manual and yes I have invested in EF lenses.

Thanks! 🙂 

The 5D III started its life at about the same price as the 5D IV. But it's now about $1000 cheaper, which makes it a pretty good value. Maybe even a better value if you can find it refurbished at the Canon store.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I've been using my little entry-level 450d now for the last 9 years."

If I woke up this morning and found myself in your shoes, it would be the 7D Mk II all the way.  Also I might ask where did I get these shoes? Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I've been using my little entry-level 450d now for the last 9 years."

If I woke up this morning and found myself in your shoes, it would be the 7D Mk II all the way.  Also I might ask where did I get these shoes? Smiley Very Happy

I almost never argue with Ernie.  Smiley Wink  But I don't altogether agree with him on this one. The 7D2 is a fine camera. My wife has one and gets very good results with it. But for someone who is leaning towards going full-frame, isn't in a position to shell out for a 5D4, and already has a collection of EF lenses, I think the 5D3 may be the better choice.

OTOH. if the choice were between the 7D2 and the 6D, I might go with the 7D2. And I'd certainly prefer the 7D2 over the 80D or any Rebel.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert,

" I think the 5D3 may be the better choice."

I could live with either choice.  But I lean towards the 7D Mk II having already owned a 5D Mk III. Small differences that give the 7D2 a slight edge.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

But I lean towards the 7D Mk II having already owned a 5D Mk III. Small differences that give the 7D2 a slight edge.

Please share 🙂 

"Please share Smiley Happy "

OK, I will.  Smiley Very Happy

First if the choice is now between the 6D and the 7D Mk II there isn't any doubt.  Go 7D Mk II all the way.

Sensor Resolution
20.2 Million                  6D
20.2 Million                  7D Mk II

Base ISO
ISO 100                      6D
ISO 100                      7D Mk II

Native ISO Range
ISO 100-16,000           7D Mk II
ISO 64 - 5,600             6D

Continuous Shooting Speed
10FPS                     7D Mk II
4.5fps                       6D

Buffer Size
31 RAW                   7D Mk II
16 RAW                   6D

Max Shutter Speed
1/8000                    7D Mk II
1/4000                    6D

The EOS 7D Mk II is built around a durable magnesium alloy body that has pro level weatherproofing to keep the camera protected in the worst conditions. The EOS 6D body also has a magnesium body like the 7D Mk II but the top plate is polycarbonate.

The 7D Mk II comes with a 65 cross type AF point system. The same system that is used on the 1D X. The Canon 6D has a much less complex AF system. It only has 11 cross type AF points.

A better low light performance is the only spec where the 6D bests the 7D Mk II.

Do not fall in to the crop sensor trap.  You will hear guys tell you that you can't shoot certain things with a certain body.  That is total BS.  The only thing that has any impact on any of this is pixel size.  Not sensor size.  Consider this;.............

If you notice the 6D and 7D Mk II have the same number of pixels, at 20 mp. The ones on the 6D are going to be larger because they have to cover more real estate.  Therefore they can gather more light.  If the 7d2 had the same size pixels instead of the same number, it would do as well in low light situations.  Of course this is very elementary because newer sensors tend to out preform older ones but it is a general rule.  Plus a newer body usually gets better electronics. The 7D Mk II is newer !

The smaller pixels do offer you something in return and that is higher resolution.  IMHO, go for the 7D Mk II and don't look back.

How's that for sharing?

EB

If you were still considering the 5D Mk III the main advantage is the 7D Mk II is way cheaper to buy.  That is number one, isn't it?

Most of the other stuff still applies to the 7D Mk II that does vs the 6D but it will be less.  The 7D Mk II also has newer features like GPS. It is much faster.  Its electronics are several years newer.  Like I said the 5D Mk III vs the 7D Mk II, I could be happy with either but I give the edge to the 7D Mk II.

EB
Announcements