cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Decide on a new/used camera body.

jrollf
Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a first generation EOS 7D.  I have always been a bit dispapointed with the hi ISO performance of this camera, and sometimes it can seem dificult to get sharp images from it (there were a lot of complaints about this in the first EOS 7D production runs).  IMHO it is pretty much useless above ISO 800 and that is pushing it, just too much noise in the pictures.  I'm thinking about buying a used/refurbished camera body with budget of about $1,000.  I shoot a lot of subjects wildlife, landscape and travel (including night shots) are my main subjects, but I also shoot Macro, night sky, and the ocasional wedding for family / friends that can't afford a wedding photographer.  Baiscally I'm looking for that mythical perfect all purpose camera on a budget.

Must haves:

1. Reliable / sharp auto focus
  2. Excellant hi-iso performance.

Desired features:

1. Full frame (helps with hi ISO and most my lenses are already EF not EF-S)
  2. Weather sealed
  3. Higher burst rates are nice to have but not required
  4. GPS (low priority)

Don't care:

1. HD Video recording (don't care at all, will not affect my decision in ANY way)
  2. Wi-Fi (Usually not shooting anywhere around wi-fi networks)
  3. "Dual Card" memory slots.
  4. Slight preference for CF memory cards, but SD is fine also.
  5. "Auto modes"  I spend most my time in shutter or apeture priority, and full manual.  I don't care about "sport", "sceneray" etc.
  6. Large size.  I almost always have a battery grip on my 7D so it is already almost as big/heavy as the EOS 1D series.
  7. Tiltable / moveable LCD Screen.

In a nutshell I care about picture quality and performance, not all the "foo-foo" features that everyone seems to be adding to their cameras.  I also always shoot in RAW format.

Looking at DxO and other reviews, I'm currenlty leaning towards a EOS 6D which I can find used with warranty and seems to have the highest iso perforamnce/image quality I can find for the budget and the camera is still "new enough" that Canon services and repairs them.  So far the 6D Mark II I have been finding are outside my budget.  I've also found 7D Mark II's in my price range but it looks like the 6D is better at high ISO, probably due to being full frame.

Thoughts?  Any other EOS body I should consider?  I only have one EF-S lens and it is a cheapie, my good lenses are all EF so moving to a full frame sensor is not an issue for me.

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

@Waddizzle wrote:

Either save for a full frame 6D, 6D Mark II, or grab the "holiday package" on the 7D Mark II before it is gone, and gone for good.  Keep in mind, that you are looking at special holiday pricing, not the "normal" refurbished list pricies.

Unfortunatley my purchase time frame is a couple of months from now so the holiday package will be gone by then.  I'm leaning toward saving for the 6D Mark II.

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts / inputs, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ScottyP
Authority

So according to DXO Mark, the following cameras have the same image quality at the listed ISO's. 

7d.             854

7d2.           1,082

750d.         919

760d.         915

80d.           1,135

6d.              2,340

5d4.            2,995

1dx2.           3,207

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Scott,

Thanks!  I was looking at the DXO ratings as well, that was what was leading to the 6D.

Interestingly the 6D II is close to the 5d4, but just outside my self imposed budget.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"In a nutshell I care about picture quality and performance, not all the "foo-foo" features that everyone seems to be adding to their cameras.  I also always shoot in RAW format."

You want the 7D Mk II.  Smiley Happy

Otherwie you can listen to guys that simply try to justify what they purchased.  Makes'em feel good to have approval form others.  The 6D may have a 1 stop advantage in low light but the right lens will negate that.  The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon for instance.  You really need to think of your camera as a system.  Not as a unit.  Sure you can pick out one spec here or there on different models that may stand out.  But what about the whole?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

In a nutshell I care about picture quality and performance, not all the "foo-foo" features that everyone seems to be adding to their cameras.  I also always shoot in RAW format."

You want the 7D Mk II.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the 27 f/8 points in the 80D is a better buy than the single f/8 point in the 7D2.  But, the 7D2 is being given away in the refurbished store.  If I had to make the choice, I would go for the 7D2 based on the prices at the moment. 

My first choice would be the 80D or a 6D2, because of the AF points.  The 6D and 6D2 are both very good low noise performers.  The 6D tracks as well as the 7D, IMHO.  The 6D2 tracks better than the 7D2, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements