cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring shots from camera without loosing file size (EOS 70D)

Cloud9
Apprentice

Hi,

I have a Conon EOS 70D. I have recently noticed that after transferring files from my camera via 'Camera Connect' app to my phone via wifi - then from the phone to my google drive via wifi that the file fize is dramatically decreased. Is it a case that when transferring from camera to phone via wifi that the file size is always reduced?

Is the only way to keep the file size to transfer the images via usb to a PC? 

Thanks for your help. 

8 REPLIES 8

By far the simplest solution is to use a card reader. If your time is worth anything, the cost of a card reader is negligible.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob,

By card reader do you mean SD card reader that plugs into USB port of your PC?

The wifi option is handy while travelling if I dont have my laptop as you always have a phone with you. Do you know if there are card readers you can plug into your phone? 

Thanks. 

@Cloud9 wrote:

Hi Bob,

By card reader do you mean SD card reader that plugs into USB port of your PC?

The wifi option is handy while travelling if I dont have my laptop as you always have a phone with you. Do you know if there are card readers you can plug into your phone? 

Thanks. 

Conceivably, but I think you'd have to interpose a USB hub, because both the phone and the card reader would have to have a full-size USB socket at the other ends of their cables. And the phone would have to be able to recognize the card reader.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Apple supplies a "camera connect kit" that might work if you have an iPhone.

Hi Bob,

Ive just bought an SD card reader with a micro USB fitting that fits my Samsung, fingers crossed.

Thanks for that advice. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

http://smarthitechsolutions.com/en/photography/transfer-photos-from-canon-70d-to-smartphone-and-comp...

Do you have this option:

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I typically don't transfer images directly to my phone... but that's because I shoot in RAW (many advantages) and the phone doesn't understand the RAW format (it only understands JPEGs, but JPEG uses lossy compression algorithms, drops the image from 14 bit to 8 bit and loses both dynamic range and adjustment latitude).  RAW requires that you have proper software (such as Canon Digital Photo Professional, Adobe Lightroom, or something similar) and that means you'd need a computer.

However, just occasionally I will not have my computer with me and want to do a direct transfer to my phone or iPad.  I have Apple's SD card reader that plugs into the Lightning port.  I'll tell the camera to convert the image to JPEG and then transfer the image.  It wont be quite as good as the RAW (having sacrificed bit depth, adjustment latitude, etc.) but it works in a pinch.

My camera does support WiFi and allegedly I can do a direct transfer... but I can eject the SD card and insert it into my card reader FAR FASTER than I can get the connection established via WiFi.  I find that process to be entirely too cumbersome.

When I got my 5D IV (which has WiFi) I setup and tested the feature and everything worked.

The next time I was in the field and wanted to use it... I'd go into the camera, enable WiFi, go to the phone and search for the camera's WiFi network... join it, then flip over to the Canon Camera Connect software... and it would drop off the WiFi and complain that there was no network.  I repeated this over and over before declaring myself insane for repeating the same non-working action.  I deleted the WiFi network from both the camera & phone and completely re-setup everything from scratch and finally got it to work again (but I should not have needed to do that.)

All of this amounted to about 15 minutes of fighting with my equipment while I'm losing my light.  So you can quickly see why just ejecting the SD card and inserting it into the Apple iPhone/iPad card reader would be much faster.

Apple makes two different accessories... one is a "Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter" (they also make an older USB 2 version... it's just named "Lightning to USB camera adapter".  But those adapters use the USB cable to connect the camera & iOS device.  They also make the "Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader" which is just a direct SD card reader (and this is the device I prefer because it's less hassel than a cable.)  Again... the iOS devices only understand the JPEG format... not the RAW (.CR2) format (although I think they do know how to display the embedded thumbnail of a RAW file so they can show the preview... they just can't open the real image.)

Camera Connect needs a LOT of help in the networking department.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for all that insight. I fell you pain in regards to the camera connect app wifi function, Ive been close to loosing the plot many times tryine to get the two components to talk to each other!! 

The basis for the question was that Im about to embark on 12 months travel and am trying to work out my best options for getting the files off the Canon 70D and up into my google drive where they are safe. As I wont be travelling with a laptop the phone seems to be the only option and as the camera connect wifi function majourly reduces the size of the files, It would be a waste of my time travelling with my DSLR!! Might as well just take pics with the phone! 

Ive just jumped onto Ebay and have purchased a SD card reader with a micro USB cable that fits into my Samsung. I'll give that a shot. 

Thanks again. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements