cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer GPS Trace to Memory Card

derek_bartram
Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to get GPS traces off a Canon 5D Mk IV...

The camera has been set in mode 2, and images are showing as having geo-tagged locations.

I went into the GPS options menu and directed the camera to transfer the traces to the CF card - this took a minute or so.

I plugged the camera into a PC, but other than the images being on the card as before, I can't find any new files, let alone the expect *.log files.

Any idea where the log files should appear on the card? And why they don't appear to be there!?!

Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18

@derek_bartram wrote:

Can't see the GPS folder in EOS utility either.

If the camera files shouldn't be accessed via Windows Explorer, then why the hell is it mounted as a mass storage device - that's just poor design.

I don't use EOS Utility to copy files as it has a serious flaw which hides file copying errors, which means you can (and I have) lost files. It's a poorly coded piece of software, that despite several bug reports, Canon has still failed to fix.

*Found another file copy bug with my camera - second new Canon in a row, which can't be trusted.

I have already answered that question.  The camera is not a storage device, it is fundamentally a type of controller.  Windows Explorer allows you to look at memory inside of the camera, but you cannot read or write to it, because memory access is denied.  

If you still think the camera is a mass storage device, then i suggest you look at the camera in “Devices”, under Control Panel. The camera will not listed as a storage device, because it is NOT a storage device.  

I suggest that you contact Canon Support, for the best advice.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Looks like you're slighty right and slighty wrong.

It's a PTP device, a Picture Transfer Protocol defined device... not exactly a controller, but not a mass storage device as such either... however the underlying device, i.e. the memory card, clearly is a mass storage device (from the camera's perspective).

Windows Explorer most certainly does let you read files from the device - it's not access denied at all,. You can't write though as you suggest. Do you actually have a Mk4, surely you would know that?

However, there's nothing obvious in the PTP specification that suggests non-images can't be transferred; afterall, a Canon RAW file is essentially arbitary data and that transfers just fine. PTP is comms protocol only.

@derek_bartram wrote:

Looks like you're slighty right and slighty wrong.

It's a PTP device, a Picture Transfer Protocol defined device... not exactly a controller, but not a mass storage device as such either... however the underlying device, i.e. the memory card, clearly is a mass storage device (from the camera's perspective).

Windows Explorer most certainly does let you read files from the device - it's not access denied at all,. You can't write though as you suggest. Do you actually have a Mk4, surely you would know that?

However, there's nothing obvious in the PTP specification that suggests non-images can't be transferred; afterall, a Canon RAW file is essentially arbitary data and that transfers just fine. PTP is comms protocol only.

Nope, I do not own a 5D4.  Don't need to.  Do you own another camera?  They all behave the same way.

Like I said, Contact Canon Support.

I've had 4 Canon cameras... they definately don't all work the same.

@derek_bartram wrote:

I've had 4 Canon cameras... they definately don't all work the same.

Yes, they do, when it comes to built-in GPS.

I do own a Canon 5D IV as well as a 5D III with the GP-E2 receiver unit (that plugs into the hot-shoe).

Though I don’t usually use the GPS “bread crumbs” feature to log my movement (I normally just use it to geo-tag photos — that doesn’t require the use of the logging feature), if you do want to import the logs via USB (instead of copying the file from the memory card) then I seem to recall that I have to use the Canon “Map Utility” that comes with the camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks Tim.

I've previously had the GP-E2, and indeed that picks up only using the Map Utility (as far as I could see).

The 5D IV doesn't appear to directly work with map utility for me - it could be I'm doing something wrong, but can't see what. I get a prompt to use EOS Utility, but any combination of running before/after/with still doesn't allow direct access.

Would you mind trying to plug in your MkIV with USB and seeing what your Map Utility does please?

@derek_bartram wrote:

Thanks Tim.

I've previously had the GP-E2, and indeed that picks up only using the Map Utility (as far as I could see).

The 5D IV doesn't appear to directly work with map utility for me - it could be I'm doing something wrong, but can't see what. I get a prompt to use EOS Utility, but any combination of running before/after/with still doesn't allow direct access.

Would you mind trying to plug in your MkIV with USB and seeing what your Map Utility does please?

Is the GPS fully tuned on?  Have the photos been previously downloaded?

@derek_bartram wrote:

Mode 2 is GPS by definition - it's GPS tracking while camera switch to powered.

Mode 1 is GPS on always (even when camera switched to off).

Not tried copying GPS tracks to memory card while GPS is off, but that's not the issue. You can't see the GPS folder with camera plugged in via USB in any combination of GPS on/off (so it appears).

You’re not supposed to “see” the files in the camera.  The camera is not a thumb drive.  It is a controller, and you can see into its’ memory.

You’re supposed to download the images with GPS data using the EOS Utility, and the GPS data comes across with the images.  From there, the Map Utility takes over the GPS field.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements