cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to upgrade from my EOS 10D. Need advice.

jcbruce
Apprentice

I purchased my EOS 10D back in 2000 as a way to reclaim control of image processing after losing access to a darkroom when I graduated from college.  Although it has served me well for everyday and semi-professional shots, it's now a relic by today's standards.  I need to upgrade to something that will keep me happy for a while without breaking the bank.  But there are so many Canon digital SLRs from which to choose, I just don't know which one would be best.

Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

JCB

7 REPLIES 7

David
Enthusiast

What is your budget? Do you want to purchase new or will used be ok?

What lenses do you have & what are your fields of interest. If the majority of your lenses are for a crop body jumping to full frame will be more difficult vs staying with a crop body. Also do you think low light (a higher ISO capable body) is needed, faster AF system etc. What's important to you & what is the budget. Things have really advanced since the 10D was introduced.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Since I have never really invested a lot of money in lighting equipment, most of what I shoot is outdoors: scenery, wildlife, flowers, etc.  And as an avid dog lover, I enjoy shooting my three Parson Russell Terriers more than anything--portrature, action shots, etc.  I own a bakery for dogs as well, so I use the 10D for events such as "Photos with Frosty," where I do use a basic lighting setup and external flash to ensure that people get what appears to be a professional image of their pups.  For everyday shooting, I use a Quantaray 19-200mm 1:3.5 - 6.3. I also have a Tokino 20-35mm 1:3.5 - 4.5 and a Tamraon 70-300 1:4 - 5.6 (the latter I really don't like much).

As to what's important to me, I guess it would be to contiue to do the things I have been doing with some versatility to allow me to try my hand at other things.  As far as budget, I could go up to $1,500 but have an idea that I could get something much better than the 10D for a lot less than that.  Today, for Photos with Rudolph (this year's character), I used an employee's T3i and was impressed.  It was light and speedy, and the AF seemed far superior to my old (and beloved) 10D.

Thank you for getting back to me on this.  It's a big purchase, and there are so many options.  I don't mind spending money, but I don't want to waste it either.  When I bought my 10D 12 years ago, the Rebel was sort of a joke.  Now it seems that the Rebel I used today made my 10D obsolete.  

Although I prefer new, I wouldn't be opposed to buying a used camera that was well taken care of.

If I remember right your 18-200 was made by Sigma & re-branded, & I've owned one & my daughter still uses it VERY nicely. You really don't seem to need much of an upgrade in your body & $1500  would buy more than I think you'll  be after. I haven't ever shot any of the Rebel series but if you think they fit your hand comfortably & you aren't looking for the features they leave out the T3i & t4I are very good choices. IF you think you need a few more features PLUS a much better AF system take a look at the 7D. If the 7D is more than you're looking for the 50D or 60D will more than meet your needs & be a big upgrade & your current lenses will all work, but their weaknesses might be amplified. 

I think the way you need to look at this upgrade depends on how you actually shoot. Are you happy in P mode or (maybe the 10D didn't have it. I started my move to digital with the 20D) sport mode? Or do you use Av ot Tv regularly? If so I'd skip the Rebel series & go for the 50D or 60D BUT if fast paced action is in the cards look very seriously at the 7D. It's AF system, FPS rate & big buffer fit that field well & at a reasonable price.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Yes, indeed, I like the 18-200 for its versatility.  As for shooting modes I almost never use the easy-shooting zone, preferring to use full manual most often, followed by Av and Tv as needed.  And for "Photos with Frosty" type events, I really like A-Dep because it allows me to take pictures quickly and keep both the dog and Frosty in focus without much fuss.

You've given me a place to start comparison shopping; and right off the bat, I'm leaning toward the 7D as a camera that would be easy to step into today yet allow some room for growth.  I'll likely keep it for a few years, so I'd rather make a big jump than an incremental one.  And the 19-point AF is very appealing, especially when dealing with dogs and other moving objects.  

What are your thoughts about used or refurbished?  I typically by new, but wonder if refurbished would be just as good.

Thank you!

JCB

Because the market here is likely very different than in the US I'm not sure my answer would necessarily be valid. Refurbs aren't that easy to buy in Canada, but based on the used market the 5D3 has really made just about any older body cheaper than before the 5D3 hit the shelves. I sold my 7D about 5 weeks ago & it took a while to find a buyer even though I priced it below what most are listed at. From the sound of things you're quite capable of determining if a camera is working properly & know what the different settings do, so used is a good thing to consider. Right now I'm using 3 bodies & 4 or 5 lenses that were bought used & they all work great. 1 body has a minor problem but I knew that when buying & have a work around. 

Announcements