cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 50D has a sports mode. What is the same mode on the 7D

pchanler
Apprentice

I shot sports on my 50D using the sports mode.  What mode do you shoot sports on usint the 7D?

5 REPLIES 5

cicopo
Elite

Shooting in Sports mode is a convenient way to avoid learning how to do it right. It just uses a built in program that assumes some variables will always be similar so it sets the camera to capture action using that program & light meter readings. Unfortunately different sports require different settings to capture them properly, which is why more advanced cameras ignore those modes. Let me explain that plus I'll direct you to an article I wrote which should help you get a handle on the settings.

Sports & Action are one in the same when it comes to the camera settings but the shutter speeds used need to match what's considered a good photos of that activity. In motorsports we want to freeze the car or bike etc, blur the background & more importantly the wheel & tire to show speed. Freeze all of that & it looks like the car or bike etc is just parked on the track. The same for shooting prop planes, they need prop blur if they are flying through the air. The reverse is true for poeople playing sports (in general) so you use a faster shutter speed & freeze everything in the frame. Each activity is different so it's important to learn what looks correct & then set the camera to get that result PLUS learn how to pan SMOOTHLY.

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=147971&highlight=Aviation+photography+101

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Those special mode settings on the main dial are really just enhanced Auto settings.  The Sports setting for example is Auto with a higher shutter speed letting the camera choose the aperture and ISO.  The Portrait mode is Auto with a large aperture opening (small aperture value), and the Landscape mode is Auto with a small aperture opening (large aperture value).

What I recommend is opening up some good photos you have taken with those special mode settings in DPP (or whatever software you are using) and then check to see what exposure settings the camera applied--specifically look for AV, TV, and ISO.  For DPP, simply select the photo, then right click on it and select Info to view the Exif data.  This should be a good beginning point for setting an acceptable exposure. 

For sports you are going to want to use TV mode, then dial in the shutter speed setting you want.  Next, set your ISO to Auto.  I'm quite sure the Sports mode used Auto ISO.  Your camera will now provide the aperture to balance out a correct exposure.  You have just created what the Sports mode does automatically [for exposure] but now you have some control and know what the settings are.  Good luck.

BTW, In the Canon world, AV = Aperture value, TV = Time value (shutter speed)

I haven't used Sport mode since the early days of owning my 20D but 2 important things it does is put the camera's AF  into AI Servo plus it sets the drive to Continous. setting the camera to AI Servo is VERY important for action.  

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

I haven't used Sport mode since the early days of owning my 20D but 2 important things it does is put the camera's AF  into AI Servo plus it sets the drive to Continous. setting the camera to AI Servo is VERY important for action.  

Yes very true!  I only mentioned exposure settings and forgot about AF and drive.  Exif will have that info too.  Thanks for covering me there cicopo.

It's a team effort so working together usually brings out the full story. Doing it is easier than explaining it while also working the keyboard.  

Announcements