cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC - 80N3 remote change - upgrade? When did Canon do this?

WesternGuy
Enthusiast

Just curious, about this remote controller.  I have one fo the "older" ones which is just basically a remote shutter release.  I was looking to buy a second one as I find it is always nice to have a backup.  Now I find that Canon has upgraded this to a full blown remote that funtions as an intervalometer, a remote shutter control, a self timer and an interval timer.  I did not know when this "upgrade" occurred, so I am just wondering if anyone knows when Canon did this.  Not that I object, but it makes for a completely new piece of gear in my bag.

WesternGuy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@WesternGuy wrote:

Thanks diverhank.  I am still learning about the capabilities of my 5D4, so I will have to check that functionality out.  I wasn't aware that this was a capability of the touch screen when using the LiveView mode.  I need to read a bit more of the manual   Smiley Happy .

WG

If it is only one second, that may not be near long enough for many budget priced, professional grade tripods and heads.  In fact, I am going to declare that it is NOT long enough.  

You would need to use a pretty robust tripod, one that does not use a center column, and a fairly robust head to match.  Many budget tripods with center columns can resonate and vibrate like a tuning fork for a few seconds with their center columns raised..  

If you have the time to use the 10 second timer, then use that.  Otherwise, I would still use a wired remote with $200 tripod kit.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

@Waddizzle wrote:

If it is only one second, that may not be near long enough for many budget priced, professional grade tripods and heads.  In fact, I am going to declare that it is NOT long enough.  

You would need to use a pretty robust tripod, one that does not use a center column, and a fairly robust head to match.  Many budget tripods with center columns can resonate and vibrate like a tuning fork for a few seconds with their center columns raised..  

If you have the time to use the 10 second timer, then use that.  Otherwise, I would still use a wired remote with $200 tripod kit.

Good point - since I don't have the camera...I don't know whether you can program the time delay.  Also keep in mind, it's a very light tap on the screen unlike a shutter button push so it's not as bad.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Waddizzle, thanks for the insight.  How about a Gitzo 3532LS and a Real Right Stuff BH55 Ball head?  Regardless. I will still use the wired remote.

WesternGuy

@WesternGuy wrote:

Waddizzle, thanks for the insight.  How about a Gitzo 3532LS and a Real Right Stuff BH55 Ball head?  Regardless. I will still use the wired remote.

WesternGuy

That will work!  That'll work well, as a matter of fact.  I like the idea using the wired remote, too.  The less touching, the better.  Get an iPad and shoot tethered.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements