cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i to 1-D Mark ii a smart buy?

Markfinn
Contributor

I am considering upgrading from my Rebel T3i to a 1-D Mark ii, but I wanted to get some feedback as to whether or not that's a worthwhile upgrade. In case it matters, I would classify myself as an advanced amateur, and a semi-professional. The photo quality of the T3i is quite impressive, but the color replication is inaccurate at times, and the ISO gets noisy around/above 800. I'm looking to upgrade primarily because of the issues with color replication and noise, but also for the 1.3x crop factor sensor and the increased control over features/options. (I always shoot on full-manual, but having only one click wheel to control it all I annoying at times. Do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade? (I'm planning on spending $500-600) Any and all feedback helps, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Between everyone's good points I got pretty confused as to whether I was making the right decision or not, but I came to the conclusion that the 1-D Mark II wasn't an upgrade, but a compliment to my T3i. When compared side-by-side the T3i and the 1-D's strengths and weaknesses line up perfectly to cover all my photographic needs.

The 1-D has the superior AF system and capture rate, not to mention build quality, while the T3i has more megapixels, a newer processor, its lighter and can use my EF-S lenses. (to name a few pros/cons)

To answer your question, ebiggs1, I currently only have a couple of nice EF-S lenses, and a 35-80mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8 lens (yeah, not great, I know haha) I do also have access to my friend's 24-70mm f/2.8L whenever he's not using it though.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Well the 2n has a few features the 1D2 didn't  including the ability to write jpg's to 1 card & RAW to the other (use a bigger card for the RAW) plus a larger LCD. I still own & use a 2n & had 2 of them for about a year & it's a great body when you're able to fill the frame. Now you have to learn the menu system but at least you won't knock the mode dial to another setting which you missed noticing. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Yeah, that's for sure, more than a couple of shots have been lost due to that mode dial. I'm already reading the manual as you suggested, so maybe I'll be able to do something with it when it comes haha
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements