cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i to 1-D Mark ii a smart buy?

Markfinn
Contributor

I am considering upgrading from my Rebel T3i to a 1-D Mark ii, but I wanted to get some feedback as to whether or not that's a worthwhile upgrade. In case it matters, I would classify myself as an advanced amateur, and a semi-professional. The photo quality of the T3i is quite impressive, but the color replication is inaccurate at times, and the ISO gets noisy around/above 800. I'm looking to upgrade primarily because of the issues with color replication and noise, but also for the 1.3x crop factor sensor and the increased control over features/options. (I always shoot on full-manual, but having only one click wheel to control it all I annoying at times. Do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade? (I'm planning on spending $500-600) Any and all feedback helps, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Between everyone's good points I got pretty confused as to whether I was making the right decision or not, but I came to the conclusion that the 1-D Mark II wasn't an upgrade, but a compliment to my T3i. When compared side-by-side the T3i and the 1-D's strengths and weaknesses line up perfectly to cover all my photographic needs.

The 1-D has the superior AF system and capture rate, not to mention build quality, while the T3i has more megapixels, a newer processor, its lighter and can use my EF-S lenses. (to name a few pros/cons)

To answer your question, ebiggs1, I currently only have a couple of nice EF-S lenses, and a 35-80mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8 lens (yeah, not great, I know haha) I do also have access to my friend's 24-70mm f/2.8L whenever he's not using it though.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

cicopo
Elite

Not easy to answer with all the variables. You'll need EF lenses plus loose some effective reach & need to learn the 2 finger menu system which can be a challenge. It's much heavier too, with less battery life and based on my 2n ISO 1600 is the safe limit if you nail the exposure. AF will be a big improvement if you shoot fast paced action but can you get by with 8.2 Mpixels & your lenses? Not much room for cropping compared to an 18 Mpix file. IF you could live with the smaller files but don't need the FPS of a 1D2(n) you might want to consider a 1Ds2 which in my opinion is a really nice older body, and one that many think is a near perfect one file wise. It won't improve your "effective" reach but it has the same AF, lower FPS & not the best buffer but awesome files for old technology. 

PS. They both have small LCD's by today's standards but with the AF being so dependable all you need it for is to check exposure.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I would actually prefer to get the 1-Ds mark ii, but the used price of around $1200 is way out of my price range, sadly. I am also considering the 5D mark 1, but as its around the same price of the 1D mark ii, and the 1D seems to have an edge over the 5D in everything but megapixel count. The issue over megapixels actually not a big concern to me, though it would be nice to have a slightly higher number. I agree with a lot of your points, especially the point about how hard a descision this is haha. Thanks for the help!

John
Enthusiast

It would be fun to have a giant 1D to play with.  I suggesting handling it and taking some photos with it first.  At 8 years old, there may be some suprises.  The xxD series has two wheels if that is a main factor.  The 60D has some nice improvements in creature comforts over the Rebel lines.  And the 60D can be gotten for some good prices nowadays.  I suspect it's price will only drop in the near future.

cicopo
Elite

Something I forgot to mention that might be important is that the early 1 series bodies can only communicate with computers via a Firewire connection & although I'm not 100% sure about this I think Windows XP was the last OS that can do it. You set a lot of the custom functions through the computer connection so IF you're serious you may want to do some research unless you have an older computer running XP. Adding a Firewire card is cheap, so that's not a biggie.

As for the current prices the 5D3 really knocked them down & it doesn't look like they will rebound. Even the 1Ds3 took a huge price drop. I won't consider selling my 1Ds2 for the current prices, not even at the high end of them. It does everything I ask of it & to replace it will cost far more than I'm willing to spend for whatever new bells & whistles I'd get. If you can get a 1D2 under $500  just be sure the shutter isn't near the end of it's life cycle. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Surprisingly enough to some people, my main desktop still has an XP partition and a firewire port, so connectivity is not an issue. Its a very useful thing to know, however, as transfer speeds are much lower than USB 2.0. (I actually was unaware of the limited connectivity of this camera until you mentioned it.) This descision is not based on the view that the 1-D2 is the key to my becomming a better photographer, I am just interested in its low-light capabilities, its high capture rate, and its 1.3x sensor. The only reason I'm holding back, I guess, is the fact that I can't use my EF-S lenses with the 1D2 and will need to purchase at least one new lens, as cicopo pointed out. (Thanks again for drawing my attention to that fact!) If anyone knows where I can get a 1D2 with a lens for around $600-700 it'll make this easy, but if that was the case it would be gone already! haha

You may want to join the Fred Miranda site. It has a very nice Buy & Sell section which I think is only visible to members. It's free & I just checked page 1 and there is a 1D2 for $375 so your price range isn't that restrictive when you think "camera & lens"

www.fredmiranda.com

Thanks a lot for the heads up, I'm negotiating a sale with that seller now, actually, so wish me luck! Thank you so much for all your help, you've pointed out things I might not have even thought of. i may seek out a trusty 'ol 50mm f1.4 prime on that forum if this sale goes well.

The feedback system there is very handy & having been a member for several years you get to know who to trust even without the feedback. I've bought several lenses through it, and last year one member mentioned he was going to sell his 28-300 L IS soon. I bought it that night long before he got to list it. Good Luck on your search. Why not download the manual & start the reading. It's a very different menu system but once learned I really like it. No mode dial to knock into a wrong setting. AF system is AWESOME.

ratan
Enthusiast
Dear Markfinn,

Personally I would choose the 600D over the 1D Mark ii. Why? I just think the 600D is a smarter choice because it has newer technology and larger image sensor. I don't doubt the 1D mark ii and I know it was good during its release. Nowadays mirrorless cameras, DSLRs and compacts are all 15mp and above. Not being a mp whore but tbh I still like to crop and the 1Dmii only has 8 :(. I don't know what kind of photos you will be taking but I doubt that the 1D and 600D can shoot at high ISOs, but thats why you get a tripod! Photos are meant to take in light anyways. Also the more $$ you spend is basically spending on better ISO. Just keep in mind the 1D mark ii is an outdated camera, and if you buy one now, I doubt it will last you that much longer. While all your friends are shooting at high ISOs or fast shutterspeed you'll be shooting with some antique. If you are financially incapable of buying a new camera at the moment, I assure you canon will continue to make better and better cameras. Don't waste your money on junk like the 1D mark ii.

Didn't mean to offend, just my suggestion.
I like DSLRs and a Gear Whore.

Canon:
Canon EOS 1Dx, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS II, EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM

Nikon:
Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Carl Zeiss Compact Prime CP.2 Super Speed 50mm T/1.5, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Announcements