cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i sharpness and diopter

GWK
Contributor

I have a T3i. When I set the diopter so that the autofocus ‘squares’ are sharp (-2 notches from center,on the wheel for me) my pictures are blurry. When I adjust the diopter to +5 “notches” on the wheel, the squares are blurry, but when I focus to the least blurry view I can get with that blurry diopter setting, my pictures are very sharp. Are my eyes or is the camera messed up? (I don’t wear corrective lenses). Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

I find the best way to adjust the diopter control is to make the numbers in the LED display in the viewfinder look sharp. You can do this with the lens capon so there is nothing to distract you. 

Mike Sowsun

GWK
Contributor

Well, I rec'd my -2 diopter corrector. Before installing, I checked the 'stock' diopter wheel setting, and it was +4 and not +5  "notches/clicks" on the diopter adjustment, where I was getting sharp images while managing to select  the best of  blurry diopter squares/image in the view finder@ +4.  I then installed the -2 diopter, and when I focussed, the 'squares'& image were sharp @ +4, and the focus 'light/beep' sounded when the shutter was 1/2 depressed (as in, things we in sync). Images are much improved. Thanks all, for your input. Perhaps I have a flakey eye, or approach, but I seem to have a better relationship with my camera, these past few days, lol. Whatever works.

Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

SueZ1
Apprentice

Hi, I have a Canon Eos t3i. I dropped it the other day and now the image in the viewfinder is blurry. I've tried adjusting the diopter wheel but that doesn't work. I understand there is something  inside the camera that is probably no longer functioning properly but I don't know what it is and don't know how to fix it. In addition, Canon says it could cost as much as $200 to fix the issue. If that's the case should I just buy another camera body?

Thanks in advance for your help!

@SueZ1 wrote:

Hi, I have a Canon Eos t3i. I dropped it the other day and now the image in the viewfinder is blurry. I've tried adjusting the diopter wheel but that doesn't work. I understand there is something  inside the camera that is probably no longer functioning properly but I don't know what it is and don't know how to fix it. In addition, Canon says it could cost as much as $200 to fix the issue. If that's the case should I just buy another camera body?

Thanks in advance for your help!

If Canon still has the parts to fix it, then I would let Canon fix it.  Your camera will be returned in nearly "new" condition.  Your other choice is to spend at least twice that amount on a used camera, while you still have a busted one.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Canon says it could cost as much as $200 to fix the issue."

I would send it in for evaluation.  You might be surprised and it is less.  I doubt it but who knows?  It may be more than $200 if the lens is broken, too.  But the lens needs to be checked also.  IMHO, even $200 is too much to spend on repairing a T3i so I would replcae it with a newer model.  A used T3i is probably $275 to $350 so that should be a guide.  Haven't checked in a while, though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements