cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Canon need advice on 80d and 24-70 f2.8 II L

dronek75
Apprentice
Hi.
New guy here and need some advice from actual users of 24-70mm f2.8 II.
I decided to sell off some of mu fuji gear including x-t1 body and some glass and switch back to Canon after years if using Pentax and fuji.
I would like to start off with 80d and the mk II 2470mm lens.
How fast at AF and tracking of this combo truly is.
Im checking this combo out at my local BestBuy store and while 80d is blazing fast at AF with 18-135 kit zoom it seems to be bit slower once I mount 24-70 f2.8 on it.
I'm mainly shooting (well, trying to using fuji) my daughter running around and some macro.
Has anyone noticing bit slower performance with this particular lens.
Last canon I had was 40d with 24-105 f4 and that lens was **bleep** quick but this time I would rather faster f lens on a cropped sensor.
Thanks for advice.
I'm quite excited even though I do love fuji and will keep smaller fuji body and few primes but canon would be my main rig.
7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Yours is the first complaint I have read in the forums regarding the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM.  How are you making a determination that the the lens is slower?  It seems to me that you are making a subjective judgement.

If the 24-70 lens is actually slower to focus than the 18-135, then difference is probably small to negligible.  Maybe the camera body firmware is causing it to trade speed for accuracy.  Most comments about the 24-70 are raving reviews of image quality.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Yours is the first complaint I have read in the forums regarding the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM.  How are you making a determination that the the lens is slower?  It seems to me that you are making a subjective judgement.

If the 24-70 lens is actually slower to focus than the 18-135, then difference is probably small to negligible.  Maybe the camera body firmware is causing it to trade speed for accuracy.  Most comments about the 24-70 are raving reviews of image quality.

The 24-70 is a fairly massive lens. If it does focus slower than the 18-135, that may be why.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

The 24-70 is a fairly massive lens. If it does focus slower than the 18-135, that may be why.

I would merrily, merrily, merrily trade a small difference in focus speed, for improved focus, any day of the week.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are trying to shoot a moving subject in continuous shooting mode, there are a couple of factors that can slow it down.  First and foremost is having lens correction enabled in the camera.  Disable noise reduction settings, too.  The idea is to let the camera perform as few extra chores per frame, as is possible.

Another way tip to get the maximum frame rate is to use mirror lockup when in continuous shooting mode.

dronek75
Apprentice
I wouldn't call it complain about 24-70.
Rather observation based on very limited use if I may say...played with it mounted on 80d at the store several times.
Wanted to ask if it's the case that lens could possibly be bit slower than say 18-135mm kit zoom I tested on same body right before switching to 2470
I don't have much experience with Canon since 40d about 9 years ago.
Wanted to see if anyone who has this lens can chime in and share his/her thoughts about this partulicular lens.
Last weekend at the store I was testing AF going from objects far to closer, back and forth and lens was bit more hesitant acuairing focus compared to kit zoom.

I have a 3 year old daughter that is "all over the place" and my fujifilm bodies even with preAF on have a hard time keeping up with her.
From what I gather for this type of photography dslr is still clear winner that's why I'm strongly considering switching over to canon. Nikon is out of question as I have owned their gear and to me their menu is a mess.

I have used the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II since it came out.  I had version one before it.  I have the offerings from Sigma and Tamron.

I can easily say the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II is the best lens made considering the total package. It and the 80D is so much better than the gear you currently have, night and day different.  That said the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II is night and day better than any of the other ef-s lenses, too.

Consider this, when you have a faster aperture like f2.8 vs f3.5-5.6, the lens has to be more accurate.  If this slows AF down a bit I don't see it.  IMHO, if you are considering this move seriously, I would opt for the 6D over the 80D with the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II.  Yes there is about a $400 difference but well worth it, to me anyway.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I have used the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II since it came out.  I had version one before it.  I have the offerings from Sigma and Tamron.

I can easily say the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II is the best lens made considering the total package. It and the 80D is so much better than the gear you currently have, night and day different.  That said the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II is night and day better than any of the other ef-s lenses, too.

Consider this, when you have a faster aperture like f2.8 vs f3.5-5.6, the lens has to be more accurate.  If this slows AF down a bit I don't see it.  IMHO, if you are considering this move seriously, I would opt for the 6D over the 80D with the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II.  Yes there is about a $400 difference but well worth it, to me anyway.

The 6D will give you better images, particularly in low light, than the 80D.  But, I would still recommend the 80D, or the 7D Mark II, because of their AF and tracking abilities.  The 6D is most definitely NOT an action camera.  If you can swing the 7D2, then go for it.  Otherwise, stick with the 80D.

Announcements