cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfing photography 1dx mark 2 questions

Itosaf
Apprentice
I got Canon 1dx mark 2 camera to photograph surfers using 4K 60fps video and stills. For now, have sigma 150-500 Lens from older canon and Delkin 256gb Cfast 2.0 card. I would like to get canon glass, but my budget is limited. Therefore few questions:

1. I’m thinking about getting 1 canon lense for now.
The debate is between f/2.8 70-200 is 2 with optional x2 multiplier when I need more zoom and 100-400 is lense. Would 1combination be better/sharper/faster for surfing video?
2. Are there any specific recommended in camera settings for surfing photography ( tracking focus type etc)?
3. Should I buy c-log from 3rd party for my camera or just stick to whatever is built in already?

Thanx in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What focal lengths do you anticipate shooting at the most?  How close to the water will you be?  

A sealed prime, or zoom, would be better to use around salt water, which is known for being NOT NICE to cameras and lenses.  You do not have to dunk your gear in order to damage it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

1. If you won't be needing the f/2.8 capability of the 70-200 then the 100-400 would be a better choice. A telextender will reduce optical quality and slow down AF. They are really for intermittent use to extend your capability; you don't want them always installed.

2. You probably want Case 4 for AF with single point surround AI Servo.

3. I don't shoot video; can't help.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"... the 100-400 would be a better choice."

I go with this because t-cons are almost always a bad idea.  Not the first solution.  I am of little help with video but my first choice would be Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for Canon.  It has great IQ and is the most weather and water sealed of any lens made. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Itosaf
Apprentice
The lens I have right now are Sigma dg 150-500 1:5-6.3 apo hsm and are very slow in focusing. I see that most of you recommend canon 100-400, but then I can use it only for telephoto because 100 I too much for closeups. So what lens should I combine it with? Is a lack of f/2.8 won’t result in slower focus?

@Itosaf wrote:
The lens I have right now are Sigma dg 150-500 1:5-6.3 apo hsm and are very slow in focusing. I see that most of you recommend canon 100-400, but then I can use it only for telephoto because 100 I too much for closeups. So what lens should I combine it with? Is a lack of f/2.8 won’t result in slower focus?

The next generation of Sigma lenses, 150-600mm “C” and “S”, have much better AF performance over your 150-500mm.  They also make avail of the Sigma Dock, which allows you to make AFMA on the lenses, as well as updating the firmware.  

I have the “C”, Contemporary version of the lens, and found it be great out 500mm, where it got soft all the way out to 600mm. A recent firmware update has changed everything, though.  It was an update to the AF system.  The lens focuses faster,, quieter, and is sharp all the way out to 600mm.  All of the AFMA adjustments that I had dialed, were no longer needed.

I would not recommend the 150-600mm “C” for extended use around salt water, though.  I would prefer a lens with internal focusing and zooming in that scenario.  A fixed lens would be my first choice, but your distance to the surfers can probably vary widely, necessitating the need for a long zoom.

I don’t quite follow your complaint about 100mm being to much for closeups, because you’re currently shooting with 150-500mm.  If you 100mm is too long for you, then you need a second body and a standard zoom lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You can ponder.  You can guess, speculate, whatever, and you can convert but the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for Canon is your best choice.  The other lens you want/need is the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.

The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports can handle the ocean or whatever you throw at it.  It has 600mm built in ! 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Canon's teleconverters are much better than 3rd party and while the 70-200mm vII and the 2x extender vIII are extremely good... you will get better performance with the 100-400mm vII lens.

Additionally... if you still find the 400mm focal length to be lacking, you can still add a Canon 1.4x vIII to the 100-400.  That will result in a 140-560mm focal length with f/8 at the long end, but the 1D X II will still handle it.   (But do note that there is a reduction in AF speed when you use an teleconverter/extender.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements