cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successor to the 7D MK II

KarlKrueger
Enthusiast

Now that the 80D has made some nice improvements over the 70D does anyone know if Canon is looking to make the next upgrade to the 7D MK II? Since the 70D and 7D MK II have the same sensor is Canon planning on similar upgrades for the next 7D based on the improvements in the 80D?

2 REPLIES 2

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@KarlKrueger wrote:

Now that the 80D has made some nice improvements over the 70D does anyone know if Canon is looking to make the next upgrade to the 7D MK II? Since the 70D and 7D MK II have the same sensor is Canon planning on similar upgrades for the next 7D based on the improvements in the 80D?

It was 5 years between the 7D and the 7D Mk II.

As for sensor improvements in the 80D, you can get the same results from the 70D or 7D Mk II with proper post processing. The 70D and 7D Mk II just don't score well on certain tests, because they don't preset the black level and bake in other types of noise reduction, like other manufactures do. I'm guessing Canon just got tired of the BS test results, and tweaked the RAW file of the 80D so it performs better on the test.

@TTMartin wrote:

@KarlKrueger wrote:

It was 5 years between the 7D and the 7D Mk II.

As for sensor improvements in the 80D, you can get the same results from the 70D or 7D Mk II with proper post processing. The 70D and 7D Mk II just don't score well on certain tests, because they don't preset the black level and bake in other types of noise reduction, like other manufactures do. I'm guessing Canon just got tired of the BS test results, and tweaked the RAW file of the 80D so it performs better on the test.

For an indicator of the features likely to be found in the 7D Mk III, I might be more inclined to look to the 5D Mk IV than to the 80D. (Which doesn't rule out the possibility that the 5D4 will itself have some features introduced in the 80D.) Note that in most respects the 7D2 is just a crop-frame version of the 5D3. Indeed, a couple of weeks ago my wife accidentally took some pictures with my 5D3, thinking it was her 7D2.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements