cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spot / Shadow when using live view on videos and photos

mchance
Contributor

Just purchased a 70D.  When viewing and transferring video and photos in live view I get a spot / shadow on the images.  This doesn't happen when shooting still photos through the viewfinder.   At first the spot / shadow  was in the middle of the image, it has now moved to the lower portion of the image

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I had posted this earlier, but I am not sure if you saw it.   

‎05-04-2015 04:41 PM - edited ‎05-04-2015 04:42 PM

I think I was able to remove the spot.   The Camera Manual had choice of " Clean Now" under Sensor Cleaning.   Even though the sensor is cleaned each time you turn the camera on and off, this step seems to do a longer cleaning process.  I hope this solves the problem long term.  I have two weeks to return camera to Best Buy.

thanks for your help

Mike Chance

View solution in original post

There are two filters inside the camera and directly in front of the sensor. One is a UV/IR filter, the other is a "low pass" filter (it reduces the problem of moiré in an image). Anyway, the camera uses the piezoelectric effect to vibrate the front filter in the hope that this will "shake" any dust particles loose. This will not always works and sometimes more aggressive cleaning is needed.

A hand-squeezed air blower (e.g. a Giottos "Rocket" blower) might be able to blow off dust that the vibration can't clear. Exceptionally soft-bristled paint brushes are sometimes used (pristinely clean, of course) and there are even versions of these with a grounding wire so they can discharge any static cling that might be responsible for dust sticking to a sensor.

There are other tools... gummy "Gel" sticks is one I've seen recently. If the simple vibration and puffs of air don't clear dust, then I usually resort to wet-cleaning using "Eclipse" cleaning solution (a few drops) on a "Sensor Swab". Eclipse is nearly pure methanol so it evaporates rapidly and leaves no residue behind.

From time to time, dust will manage to get onto a sensor and, from time to time, the self-clean wont be enough to clear it. So it's an inevitability of DSLR photography that the sensor will, just occosionally, require a manual cleaning.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

mchance
Contributor

Update the spot is on the photo image when taking through the view finder

Probably a flare spot. Use a lens hood, and try to keep light from entering the lens from directions other than a straight line between the camera and the subject.

Have you tried a different lens? Some lenses are more prone to flare than others.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I don't think this is flare.  It occurs inside and outside of my house.  Night time too.   With and without flash.  Right now it always appears in the same place on the videos and photos .  It might be some type of lint or debris onthe front or back of  lens.  I will trying cleaning it and see if that makes a difference.   I just bought the camera yesterday and the 18-135 lens is the only one I have.   The spot occurs in shots using live view and view finder

We'd need to see a reference image to identify what might cause this "spot".   

Lots of things can cause spots... dust on the sensor, flare, damaged shutter mechanism, strange reflections from the inside of the camera (usually because something isn't in it's proper place), etc.  But without seeing the thing you are describing as a spot, it's all just a wild guess.

Can you post an image?  You can either post here, or if you've posted elsewhere online then you could provide a link.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

IMG_0193_0010.JPGIMG_0199_0016.JPG

I just posted two photos with spot.   They appear in the same place in each shot.

@mchance wrote:

I just posted two photos with spot.   They appear in the same place in each shot.

That looks like an oil spot on the sensor. Did you buy the camera new or used?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bought it new from Best Buy yesterday.  The first time I noticed it was in the upper part of the photo and was longer (up and down)   It is now where you see it in the two photos I posted

thanks

Mike Chance

I think I was able to remove the spot.   The Camera Manual had choice of " Clean Now" under Sensor Cleaning.   Even though the sensor is cleaned each time you turn the camera on and off, this step seems to do a longer cleaning process.  I hope this solves the problem long term.  I have two weeks to return camera to Best Buy.

thanks for your help

Mike Chance

Announcements