Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting the AF Point Manually

henry001
Contributor

Hello Everyone.

I have one question regarding 5DSR.

I recenly purchased the camera and I noticed that I have to press AF Point Selection Button in order to select AF point manually. Yes I am aware that that is what the manual says.

However, with my previous cameras (1DIII/1DsIII/7D Mark II), I was able to move AF point wherever I wanted without pressing the above button, and it is waste of time when I tried to focus on say person's eye.

I have to say that when I can move focus points manually without pressing AF Point Selection Button, each AF point is in black. However when I press the button, each focus point illuminates with red.

Is there anything wroing with my 5DSR?

Thanks for your input.

12 REPLIES 12

Sorry thought I deleted that.

It's on page 421 of your manual. You have to turn it on under Custom Controls.

5ds pg 421.jpg

Thanks but I already mentioned p421 at the beginning of this thread.

I finally found out that P413 is the one that we have to refer to in order to make a custom change in AF

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

On a 5D III, S, or S R (because they all use the same focus system) the tiny 8-way navigator joystick can move the AF point without you having to press the AF point selection button (and I seem to recall there's a setting to enable or disable this behavior but my camera isn't handy).  

In full auto-select mode, this obviously wouldn't make sense.  But in modes such as spot focus, single point focus, expanded focus, surround focus, and zone focus modes you can just use the little joystick.  

Also, if you rotate the camera 90º to take a vertical shot then the mode will change (this is configurable in settings but you can uniquely assign a focus mode for horizontal shots and a different mode for vertical shots... or you can tell the camera to keep the same mode.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements